Published on May 27th, 2015 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Mazda SKYACTIV Advantages Explained.
The results of the SKYACTIV program have been two-fold for Mazda.
– 15% better fuel economy
– 15% better performance on regular octane fuel (87)
Here’s where the real stats get interesting. Throughout the project, Mazda was able to increase performance by:
– raising compression ratio in the engine with domed pistons
– created innovative direct fuel injector system to prevent the ‘knock’ associated with high-compression engines
– added a longer exhaust manifold (header) without affecting emissions.
To ensure that the power gains were not lost in the delivery system, Mazda claims energy savings by:
– reduced friction in engine (30%) through increased oil pump efficiency (74%) and water pump efficiency (31%)
– reduced friction on pistons, rods, and crankshaft by 25%
– reduced valve-train friction by 54%
– increased air access by 13%
So what does all that mean? More Torque. Increased Performance. Better Efficiency! All contributing towards a winning combination for all Mazda SKYACTIV vehicles.