Published on September 6th, 2015 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Renault Alaskan Concept, Style Wise Pickup Truck
As Europe’s number one Light Commercial Vehicle (LCV) brand for the past 17 years, and in addition to its strong positions in the South-American and African markets, Renault group is now shifting up a gear with a view to taking Renault LCV forward from being a top regional player to a top global player.
In order to achieve this ambition, Renault has decided to move into the pick-up market, a segment that accounts for more than one-third of global LCV sales. Last June, in Buenos Aires, the brand launched the distinctive new Renault Duster Oroch which is intended for the South American market, while the ALASKAN Concept that is being introduced today is a striking show truck which paves the way for a forthcoming model that will have a global calling.
In parallel to its product and market offensives, Renault is also launching Renault Pro+, a global expert brand committed to serving LCV customers and users. In addition to providing tailor-made products and services, the specialist Renault Pro+ network will deliver a rewarding experience at every step of the journey for business-user customers, from advertising to aftersales service. The Renault Pro+ expert brand embodies Renault’s customer promise and forms an integral part of its plans to become a top global LCV market player.
Renault takes the wraps off the ALASKAN Concept pick-up, a one-tonne show truck
After introducing the Duster Oroch earlier this year, Renault is now taking the wraps off the ALASKAN Concept which marks a further step forward in its bid to win over customers in the constantly-growing pick-up market. Pick-ups account for more than one-third of total LCV sales and open up a fresh front for Renault’s product offensive.
The ALASKAN Concept is a striking show truck that paves the way for a pick-up that will have a global calling. It combines a payload of one tonne with cutting-edge, athletic styling to meet the exacting needs of business users and individuals alike.
The ALASKAN Concept: robust, athletic and cutting-edge styling
The ALASKAN Concept’s status-enhancing design fits perfectly with the aesthetic expectations of the pick-up segment, whilst remaining true to the Renault brand’s own styling cues.
- The dimensions of the assertive, status enhancing ALASKAN Concept ensure a forceful stance
- The design of its robust yet athletic sculpted sides includes prominent wheel arches filled with 21-inch wheels
- Its lines combine a sense of high-tech engineering with an impression of robustness.
Its eye-catching front-end styling incorporates Renault design cues which bring a modern, aesthetic touch to the world of pick-ups:
- A large, prominent logo
- An impressive bonnet highlighted by four sculptured ribs that heighten the impression of strength
- A combination of satin-effect, brushed and polished metal finishes
- Blue and yellow detailing on the door mirrors, brake calipers, wheel rim centres and front tow hook visually enhancing the ALASKAN Concept’s poise
- C-shaped head lights
- Full-LED lighting signature.
The ALASKAN Concept is powered by Renault’s proven four-cylinder, twin turbo diesel engine which features in the existing Master range:
- Twin turbo technology: a small turbo for smooth acceleration at low engine speeds, plus a bigger turbo for higher revs
- Longitudinally-mounted twin turbo powertrain lighter than average equivalent engines
- Outstanding acceleration performance, plus class-topping fuel economy and low CO2 emissions.
The ALASKAN Concept: designed to make the most out of life in three different worlds
The ALASKAN Concept is designed to meet the requirements of three different worlds: business and leisure use, plus everyday motoring.
Perfectly suited to the needs of business users:
- Strong chassis for excellent road holding, high ground clearance and distinctive driving comfort
- Payload of more than one tonne with five passengers onboard and long, wide load bed
- Load bed incorporating three longitudinal recesses suitable for fixing equipment
- Additional storage bins either side of the load bed for the secure protection of equipment
- Best-in-class fuel efficiency, plus impressive power output and acceleration performance.
The ALASKAN Concept is the perfect companion for leisure use, too:
- Ideal for road trips, adventure or sports use. Big load bed that can comfortably accommodate mountain bikes, camping gear or surfboards, etc. Availability of a range of outdoor accessories (load bed liners, covers, etc.)
- Premium travelling comfort, together with highest quality standards in terms of equipment and connectivity
- Last but not least, a camera located inside the door mirror housings to permit the filming of passing landscapes.
For everyday motoring:
- A status-enhancing vehicle complete with large 21-inch wheels, user-friendly driving comfort and modern urban styling that sets it apart in the pick-up world
A sporty, appealing look:
- Large “LED PURE VISION“ rear lights with brushed and polished aluminum surrounds framed by C-shape direction indicators
- Sophisticated rear-end styling heightened by the central aluminum exhaust tail pipe.
A one-tonne pick-up to follow in the wake of the ALASKAN Concept show truck
- The production version’s design will be similar in spirit to that of the ALASKAN Concept and will feature the same dimensions
- A broad range of body types and powertrains will be available
- It will be a high-end pick-up for business and leisure use, as well as for everyday motoring. It will capitalize on Renault’s crossover know-how with models like Captur and Kadjar.