Published on January 3rd, 2016 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Tesla S On Fire At Charging Point
Last Friday in Norway, firefighters were dispatched to rescue a Tesla Model S that caught fire while on a fast-charging outlet at the Sundebru Supercharger in Gjerstad. The fire is described to have started while the owner of the Model S left the car while charging at the Supercharger stall.
Shortly after the car ignited into flames before burning down to the ground as seen in the photos shared here. Firefighters took longer than normal to extinguish the fire, because unlike a traditional fire where water is used as the extinguishing agent, fires in electric vehicles need to be extinguished using a different methodology. If the Tesla range is introduced here, are our Malaysian fireman ready to put of this fire?
The only way to extinguish the fire in electric cars is by using water with a copper material. It is too costly to carry this in every fire station. The Tesla Model S uses Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum (NCA) batteries and the charge station uses Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) batteries.