Published on April 26th, 2016 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Compact and Intense: smart ForTwo Brabus
With 109 hp, the new smart Brabus is among the sportiest vehicles in its segment. Alongside the powerful turbo engine, this is down to the Brabus Performance sports suspension with specially adapted ESP, the sports power steering and sporty configuration of the twinamic dual-clutch transmission with Race Start function.
Available in fortwo, fortwo cabrio and forfour versions, the new smart Brabus will celebrate its world premiere at the Beijing Automotive Exhibition. The first models will be in European dealers’ showrooms from July 2016.
Rated power and maximum torque have been increased by 7 hp and 23 Nm, respectively, to 109 hp at 5750 rpm and 170 Nm at 2000 rpm. The result is a smart Brabus fortwo that can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 9.5 seconds, and a top speed of up to 180 km/h.
Yet the more powerful turbo engine is not the only technical highlight. The sporty performance is due also to the following extensive modifications:
- The fuel pressure has been raised by 2 bar. The air supply to the engine has been optimised.
- The springing/damping of the Brabus Performance sports suspension are 20 percent firmer than the Brabus sports suspension, with the anti-roll bar on the front axle reducing the roll tendency by 9%, while the ESP has been specially adapted.
- The sports-tuned Direct-Steer system with speed-sensitive power assistance and variable steering ratio comes with a specially increased return torque for the smart BRABUS. This means that the steering gives even stronger feedback on the current grip status of the tyres, thereby improving the communication between driver and vehicle. This allows better control over the vehicle while making for enhanced driving enjoyment.
- The BRABUS sport exhaust system has been optimised in terms of back-pressure.
The sporty top models of the latest smart generation stand out visually through their matt grey rear diffuser insert with chrome-look tailpipe trims as well as their grey, high-sheen and matt painted BRABUS Monoblock IX light-alloy wheels.
smart Brabus Xclusive: the new premium equipment line
The new high-end equipment line Brabus Xclusive makes for even greater sporty elegance in the city. The special features:
- Brabus sport seats with upholstery in perforated nappa leather/black leather with specific grey topstitching
- Brabus instrument panel with a material mix of man-made leather/fabric
- Brabus dashboard instrument with cockpit clock and rev counter
- Brabus floor mats
- Xclusive badges in mirror triangle and B-pillar
The BRABUS Xclusive also comes as standard with LED & Sensor package, heated seats for driver and front passenger, while the smart forfour readyspace features rear seats with a removable cargo box. The new models at a glance: