Published on October 25th, 2016 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Suzuki’s 2017 GSX-R1000 and GSX-R1000R Details
The 6th generation GSX-R1000 is completely new from the ground up. The features of GSX-R series, “Run. Turn. Stop.”, which are the fundamental design of harmonizing the engine and chassis, are thoroughly reviewed and balanced in high dimension.
Main features of the GSX-R1000 and GSX-R1000R
– Newly-developed 999.8cm3 in-line four-cylinder engine has adopted a new system called the Broad Power System, which incorporates technologies developed in MotoGP. The Broad Power System is a technology that strikes a balance between enhancing output in the high rpm range and low-to-mid speed range output. It is composed of four systems: 1. Intake VVT (variable valve timing); 2. Electronic throttle body; 3. Valve train system; and 4. Exhaust pressure tuning valve.
– Meets the new Euro4 emission standards (for European specification).
– Newly-developed frame has reduced width for enhanced aerodynamics, and is 10% lighter with optimized rigidity.
– Improved cornering performance and manoeuvrability thru changing the engine’s cylinder angle and shortening the distance from the front axle to the swingarm pivot centreline.
– Completely redesigned cowling with smaller frontal projected area for large improvement in aerodynamics.
– Brembo radial mount front brake calipers are matched with T-drive brake discs tuned for production models, which produce more efficient transfer of stopping power.
– ABS variant (ABS is standard equipment for GSX-R1000R) is equipped with Motion Track Brake System, which reduces rear-wheel lift during very hard braking by employing the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit). Plus, the system equipped on the GSX-R1000R also optimizes front brake pressure when the front brake is applied, based on the leaning angle of the motorcycle to suppress reduction in front tire grip.
– Motion Track Traction Control System allows the rider to select 10 different levels of traction control intervention, depending upon road or racetrack conditions as well as personal preference and experience level.
– Systems such as Low RPM Assist, which raises engine rpm in starting and in low rpm range, and Suzuki Easy Start System, which enables the rider to just one-push the starter instead of press-holding it to start the engine, are adopted.
– Maximum output: 148.6kW (202ps)/13,200rpm
– Maximum torque: 117.6Nm (12.0kgfm)/10,800rpm
– Vehicle weight: 200kg/202kg (ABS variant)/203kg (GSX-R1000R)
Main features of the GSX-R1000R
– Launch control system is adopted for the first time on Suzuki production models (excluding competition models). The system makes it easier to get a good start by helping it reduce the chance of a wheelie by automatically limiting engine rpm and optimizing torque delivery.
– Quick shift system is adopted for the first time on Suzuki motorcycles, which enables quicker and smoother shift changes.
– Standard equipment of racing-developed, high performance Show Balance Free Front Fork and Balance Free Rear Cushion Lite.