Published on February 5th, 2018 | by Subhash Nair0
This Explosion Is A Reminder of How Dangerous Compressed Natural Gas Can Be
We were shown this clip of an exploding Volkswagen Spacefox (think of the Lupo, but a little bit more modern and with MPV characteristics) and found out that it was from April of last year. This took place at a petrol station in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil – a country that actively promotes the use of natural gas and biodiesel in combination with fossil fuels for domestic use.
Be warned, the clip is quite graphic.
A woman in the passenger seat was instantly killed, while 3 others, including the man, who was flung back, were injured. The explosion was apparently caused by a pressure build-up in the CNG tank, but there seems to be no follow up report. Interestingly, this Forbes article points to other natural gas-powered Volkswagens exploding in Europe from late 2016.