Published on May 27th, 2018 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
CASIO ‘5000 SERIES’ G-SHOCK WITH FULL METAL CONSTRUCTION
Casio began selling G-SHOCK shock-resistant watches in April 1983. With this timepiece, CASIO had created an entirely new category of tough, shockproof watches that subsequent G-SHOCKs would continue to dominate.
As the very first G-SHOCK, the DW-5000C laid down precedents that would shape the development of all subsequent models of the family. Its square case, for instance, would go on to be used in other lines such as 1987’s DW-5600, in time becoming synonymous with the archetypal G-SHOCK.
For 2018, CASIO has released the GMW-B5000, the first watch in the 5000 series with full metal construction. The new timepiece’s outer components including its bracelet, case, and bezel have been rendered entirely in stainless steel. It retains the legendary shockproof properties of the original though, thanks to a new case construction that uses a highly durable fine resin insert between the stainless steel case and bezel to absorb shock.
35th Anniversary Limited Edition
Ever since the first DW-5000C, G-SHOCK has been constantly setting new standards in innovative design, tough structure, and powerful modules. Now to mark the 2018 35th Anniversary of the G-SHOCK come the GMW-B5000TFG, a full-metal G-SHOCK with a Connected engine.
This model is a full-metal version of the DW-5000 base model which represents a refinement of the hollow case structure to achieve an even higher level of shock resistance. Fine resin shock absorbers between the metal bezel and case created a shock resistant structure for a full-metal case. Innovative new band connections, which are components that are subjected to the strongest shock levels, add additional center lugs that lessen the load on the band pins. The screw back case, with a highly wear resistant diamond like coating (DLC), gives the watch a feeling of heft.
A film solar cell maintains display clarity and an STN-LCD ensures easy reading of display information, even from an angle. The text and main display layout of the face was painstakingly designed in a way to make it virtually identical to the original base model. Use of the latest-version engine achieves high-density component mounting without affecting the size of the finished timepiece. The external design and internal module advances packed into a full-metal configuration of the GMW-B5000 makes it a model that truly represents the promise of G-SHOCK.
To mark G-SHOCK’s 35th Anniversary, the GMW-B5000TFG is a limited-edition gold ion-plated model that dresses up the full metal 5000 specs in a gorgeous gold color. This, along with a 35th Anniversary logo impressed on the back cover and special packaging, makes this model a great way to mark this momentous occasion.
Reference: GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000TFG-9
- Construction: Shock-resistant
- Water Resistance: 200 meters
- Radio Frequency: 77.5 kHz (DCF77: Germany); 60 kHz (MSF: UK); 60 kHz (WWVB: USA); 40 kHz (JJY: Fukushima, Japan) / 60 kHz (JJY: Kyushu, Japan); 68.5 kHz (BPC: China)
- Radio Wave Reception: Automatic reception up to six times a day (except for use in China: up to five times a day)
- Communication Standard: Bluetooth® low energy*
- Signal Range: Up to 2m (may differ depending on surrounding conditions)
- World Time: 5 world times selected from 39 cities (39 time zones, daylight saving on/off) and Coordinated Universal Time, city name display, home time/world time switching
- Stopwatch: 1/100 second (00’00”00 to 59’59”99) / 1 second (1:00’00” to 23:59’59”); measuring capacity: 23:59’59.99”; measuring modes: elapsed time, split time, 1st and 2nd place times
- Countdown Timer: Measuring unit: 1 second (maximum 24 hours)
- Alarm: 5 daily alarms (with 1 snooze alarm); hourly time signal
- Other Functions Smartphone Link functions (world time: over 300 cities + user-added cities, automatic time adjustment, easy watch setting); Time & Place; Reminder; Phone Finder; date display (month/date switching); day display (in English, Spanish, French, German, Italian and Russian); full auto-calendar; 12/24-hour format; button operation tone on/off; full auto LED backlight (super illuminator and afterglow: 2/4 seconds, fade-in/fade-out afterglow); low battery alert
- Power Source: Tough Solar power system (solar-charging system)
- Continuous Operation: About 22 months with the power-saving function* ON after full charge
- *Power-saving after a certain period in a dark location
- Size of Case: 49.3 × 43.2 × 13.0 mm
- Total Weight: Approx. 167g