Published on September 20th, 2018 | by Subhash Nair0
This Navara Was Made Just for the European Space Agency
Nissan today unveiled the out-of-this-world Nissan Navara Dark Sky Concept at the 2018 Hannover Motor Show, proving that the sky is never the limit.
Developed in the UK in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA), the concept vehicle functions as a mobile astronomy lab, featuring a world-leading, observatory-class telescope on a bespoke off-road trailer. As the latest embodiment of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the vehicle comes with ProPILOT driver assistance technology, which has been upgraded to make it the most capable pickup for safe and convenient towing.
ESA is mapping the stars with unprecedented precision using the Gaia satellite, which has already observed more than a billion stars. The Nissan Navara Dark Sky Concept supports this project by helping astronomers conduct follow-up observations of the universe from hard-to-reach, so-called “dark sky” locations – away from the nighttime glow of urban areas, which decreases visibility.
The vehicle includes an array of smart features that have been upgraded to meet the needs of commercial vehicle customers:
- ProPILOT enhances the driver’s control by combining Nissan’s Intelligent Cruise Control and Steering Assist technologies. This maintains the distance with the vehicle in front while keeping the car and rig centered during single-lane driving – even on curves.
- The Intelligent Around View Monitor system has been upgraded to support towing, giving the driver a bird’s-eye-view around the vehicle and rig and making parking easier.
- Blind Spot Warning has been enhanced to highlight objects in blind spots within the trailer range
- Intelligent Towing Hitch Alignment lets your car take control of steering, acceleration, braking and shifting, so that it can automatically maneuver to align with the trailer for easy hookup
- Nissan’s portable battery packs utilize electric vehicle technology from the Nissan LEAF to ensure auxillary power supply, no matter how remote the location
Also making its motor show debut is the Nissan Navara N-Guard, a tough and stylish special version that’s now on sale. It features a number of exterior and interior design upgrades, extending the Navara’s appeal to those who want a superior pickup for off-road adventures.
Inspired by the Nissan Navara EnGuard Concept unveiled at the Hannover Motor Show in 2016, the Navara N-Guard is available with the OFF-ROADER AT32 conversion pack, and this can be also seen on Nissan’s Hannover Motor Show stage. With increased ground clearance, underbody protection and an optional snorkel, it is the most capable Navara ever offered to European customers.