Published on February 21st, 2019 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Peugeot 5008 MPV, 8 reasons to test drive it this weekend
If you like family weekend excursions and need a daily driver that does not make you feel like a bus driver, then it might be worth 8 minutes of your time to read our 8 reasons why you need to test drive this new Peugeot 5008.
- The 5008 name used to sit on a typical bloated MPV…now its sits on a good looking SUV.
- This new 5008 gets its platform (EMP2) stretched by 196mm overall with 165mm added to the wheelbase to allow for better 3rd row seating.
- Peugeot engineers have given it high safety features like full length curtain airbags, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, AEB, parking sensors front and rear and a back-up camera.
- Like with the 3008, Peugeot’s configurable digital dash and 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system feature in both models and it has Apple and Android smartphone linking, dual zone climate control (where temperature can be lowered to a cold 14 degrees) and a smart key.
- The 3rd row, with the two back seats (weighing just 11kg each) completely removed you get a low-set, flat and wide space with good length that delivers a large 1,060-litre boot in 5-seater mode. The boot space expands to 1940 litres with the second row of seats folded flat. Even the front passenger seat can be folded flat, allowing for items as long as 3-metres in length to be loaded. So visiting IKEA regularly should be no problem.
- This 5008 weighs in at just 1575kg which allows for good enough city and outstation driving from the 121kW and 240Nm 1.6L turbocharged engine. Peugeot claims a 0–100km/h time of 10.5 seconds and this is more than adequate for a ‘FAMILY’ vehicle.
- For petite drivers, parking this full sized 7-seater is no issue as the 5008 is only 4641mm long (with wheelbase of 2840mm), width of 2098mm (including mirrors) and a height of 1646mm. So, it is the size of a luxury sedan and yet it has space for 7 adults inside.
- With the asking price of RM173,888 it has a hearty price advantage over the latest competition from Korea and Japan.
Take this SUV for a test drive and you will find its 1.6-litre turbo engine working smoothly with its 6-speed automatic transmission, allowing you to drive it with ease in city traffic. For a vehicle of its size, the acceleration was good on the open highway with a progressive wave of torque allowing this “French Model” to leave some other cars hanging behind us on the open road. Around long sweeping corners and on highway exit ramps we found this 5008 not lacking in grip as we progressed our pace with enthusiasm. At times we had to restrict our pace in order to bring some sanity to our drive, simple because the cabin insulation is so good that we could not hear the tire roar and traffic speeds.
With a full load of passengers, you will find the added weight bearing down on the 1.6L engine when you try and get frisky on the road, but remember, this is a family vehicle, not a hot hatch.
Take a test drive yourself, bring your family, load them into all 6-passenger seats if possible and then drive it and experience its value for yourself.
Peugeot 5008 1.6L Specifications
Engine: 4-cylinder 16v Turbo
Power: 163bhp @ 6000rpm
Torque: 240Nm @ 1400rpm
Transmission: 6-speed auto with manual select
0-100km/h: 10 seconds
Top speed: 205km/h
Price: From RM173,888.