Published on July 20th, 2019 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray unveiled. This is the supercar to own in 2019
0-100km/h in under 3 seconds from a proper combustion engine
Please Chevrolet build this car in right hand drive mode so that we can test drive it one day in Malaysia. Yes, a proper V8 engine with 495bhp and 637Nm of torque is what real car guys want and only American muscle car madness full-fills this dream with a long-term promise from the iconic Corvette with the introduction of the new Stingray.
This is the brand’s first-ever production mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette. The sum of everything that came before it, the new Stingray is re-imagined to bring customers new levels of performance, technology, craftsmanship and luxury. Imagine, price start in North America from just USD60,000 which is just RM260,000 before local taxes, shipping and approved permits costs.
Press Release: The new mid-engine layout gives the new Stingray:
- Better weight distribution,with the rear weight bias enhancing performance in a straight line and on thetrack.
- Better responsiveness and senseof control due to driver positioning closer to the front axle, almost on top ofthe front wheels.
- The fastest 0-60 mph time ofany entry Corvette ever – approximately three seconds when equipped with Z51package.
- A race car-like view of theroad due to lower positioning of the hood, instrument panel and steering wheel.Excellent forward sightlines throughout the vehicle for both driver andpassenger.
- An enhancement of Corvette’straditional utility strengths, with dual trunks for a total of 357 liters (12.6cubic feet) of cargo volume, ideal for luggage or two sets of golf clubs.
Designinspired by racing and aeronautics
The new Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray’sexterior has a bold, futuristic expression with mid-engine exotic proportions,but it is still unmistakably Corvette. It’s lean and muscular, with an athleticsculptural shape conveying a sense of motion and power from every angle.
A supercar level of craftsmanship, premiummaterials and attention to detail were critical in designing every component ofthe Stingray. The new location of the engine is truly the focal point for thecar’s design. It’s the heart of this next generation Corvette and it sits likea jewel in a showcase, visible through the large rear hatch window. The addedattention to detail optimized the appearance of every wire, tube, bolt andfastener, similar to those found in modern track and all-road motorcycledesign.
Someadditional design touchpoints include:
- Low profile headlamps designedaround all-new projectors.
- Completely hidden door, hoodand hatch releases do not disrupt the sculpted design.
- Large side air intakes forengine cooling and aerodynamic performance.
- A-pillar shape thatcommunicates speed and assists in visibility.
- Large rear hatch that showcasesthe engine with seven air vents.
- Quad exhaust tips located onthe vehicle’s outboard ends.
- Dual-element LED taillamps withanimated turn signals.
- True to its aeronautical andracing roots, the new Stingray’s canopy-forward stance was inspired by F22s,F35s and other modern fighter jets and Formula One racing. Other classicCorvette signatures adapted to the Stingray include a distinctive face thatcommunicates the purpose of the vehicle’s mission, a classic horizontal crease,aggressive front fenders and familiar positioning of the dual-elementheadlamps.
Theinterior is further enhanced by:
- A cockpit that has not onlymigrated forward by 42 cm (16.5 inches), but envelops the driver, conveying thehigh performance and aeronautic theme.
- Vertical climate controls andultra-thin vents minimize the height of the instrument panel, creating a low,spacious interior.
- A new, squared-off, two-spoke,small diameter steering wheel that enables an unobscured view of the 12-inchreconfigurable cluster display.
Thenew Stingray boasts premium interior materials executed at a high level ofquality and craftsmanship:
- Hand-wrapped, cut-and-sewleather components with thick press stitching.
- Generous use of real metal.
- Stainless steel speaker grilleswith Bose Performance Series audio system.
- Carbon fiber trim on the GT2and Competition Sport Seats.
The choice of either real aluminum or realcarbon fiber for console and door trim plates.
Customerscan create their own design statement, with the most personalization optionsever for Corvette:
- 12 exterior colors – Torch Red,Arctic White, Black, Blade Silver Metallic, Shadow Gray, Ceramic Matrix Gray,Long Beach Red, Elkhart Lake Blue and Sebring Orange – plus three all-newcolors: Rapid Blue, Zeus Bronze and Accelerate Yellow.
- Six interior color themes: JetBlack, Sky Cool Gray, Adrenaline Red, Natural/ Natural Dipped, Two-Tone Blueand Morello Red.
- Six seat belt colors: Black,Blue, Natural, Torch Red, Yellow and Orange.
- Two optional stitch packages:Yellow and Red. Standard black interiors have Sky Cool Gray stitching.
- GT1 – a sporty style thatemphasizes comfort while providing good support for performance drivingsituations. Features Mulan leather trim, optional two-way lumbar support andwing adjustment.
- GT2 – a first for Corvette,these seats have a racing-inspired look with comfort for long trips courtesy ofdual density foam. They include carbon fiber trim, a Napa leather insert, Mulanleather bolsters, a jet black-painted seat back, two-way lumbar support andwing adjustment, plus heating and ventilation.
- Competition Sport – designedfor the serious track-focused driver, these seats include aggressive bolsters,full Napa seating surfaces and carbon fiber trim on the headrest, heating andventilation, along with an all-new durable performance textile inspired byKevlar vests.
Engineeredto be a true supercar for every day
Corvette’s structure is built around itsbackbone: the center tunnel. This enables a light, stiff structure to serve asthe foundation for the suspension system to perform in an optimized manner. Byremoving unwanted body compliance, Corvette customers will experience theultimate in ride performance with outstanding lateral grip capabilities. Thecar has a solid, connected-to-the-road feel with minimal vibrations at highspeeds or on long road trips.
“Our mission was to develop a new typeof sports car, combining the successful attributes of Corvette with theperformance and driving experience of mid-engine supercars,” said TadgeJuechter, Corvette executive chief engineer.
Thetunnel-dominant approach offers many advantages, including:
- Improved torsional rigiditywith a solid, connected feel on both the road and track.
- Outstanding ingress/egress fora mid-engine vehicle. Unlike some competitors, there’s no need for oversizedrocker panels to bear structural and load weights, making it easier to enterand exit the vehicle.
- Excellent stability due to alow center of gravity and outstanding handling.
- Preservation of Corvette’sbeloved standard removable roof panel, which can easily be stored in the reartrunk.
- A front storage compartmentthat can fit an airline-spec carry-on and a laptop bag.
- Availability in both left- andright-hand-drive variants – a first for Corvette and a milestone for itsdistribution in the UK market one of the most important sportscar marketsglobally.
- Smart packaging with improvedcabin comfort, including an additional 2.5 centimeters (one inch) of rearwardseat travel and almost double the reclining angle.
Theall-new Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray is built with a smart mixed-materialsstrategy, enabling key features such as:
- A strong, stiff and lightweightmain structure of six high-pressure diecast aluminum parts, also known as theBedford Six, which are manufactured at GM Powertrain in Bedford, Indiana. Theseminimize the number of joints within the vehicle, making a stiffer structurethat aids in handling and track cornering.
- Industry-first carbon fibercurved rear bumper beam for weight reduction.
- Front and rear trunk tubs anddashboard molded from ultra-lightweight “float” derived fromfiberglass and a proprietary resin. The material is so light that it canactually float in water. It works with other fiberglass and carbon fibervariants to lower mass and reduce noise and vibration.
Handling: core to Corvette’s fun-to-drive DNA
The Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray isdesigned for superior ride comfort on the highway and well-balanced handling onthe track.
The new Stingray features coil over dampersthat create entirely new ride and handling characteristics. The mid-enginearchitecture allows for a short, straight and stiff steering system, coupledwith an updated electronic steering system, making the driver’s chassis inputinstantaneous.
The new seating position places the car’scenter of gravity close to the driver’s inside hip, so the car literally turnsaround the driver. It completely changes the perception of vehicle handling andresponsiveness.
Otherride and handling upgrades include:
- Steering ratio improved from16.25:1 to 15.7:1.
- New eBoost brakes that are moreprecise and tunable.
- Front suspension lift thatraises ground clearance by approximately 40 mm at the front bumper in 2.8seconds, protecting against bumps, potholes, steep driveways and other roaddisturbances. It can operate at speeds up to 38 km/h (24 mph) and be programmedto work automatically through GPS to remember up to 1,000 locations.
- Launch control aided by therear weight distribution, enabling the new Stingray to get off the line quickerthan any Corvette in history.
- Z51 Performance Package, whichintroduces a host of new technology to the new Stingray:
- Performance suspension withmanually adjustable threaded spring seats.
- Larger brake rotors with Z51logo on calipers.
- Enhanced cooling.
- Specific axle ratio.
- Front brake cooling inlets.
- An electronic limited slipdifferential integrated into the transaxle that modulates torque between therear tires, enabling incredible vehicle stability.
- A front splitter and opentwo-piece rear spoiler that add up to a combined 180 kilograms (400 pounds) ofdownforce while improving grip when cornering.
- Available Magnetic Ride Control4.0, which reads the road better, providing more precise data throughsuspension-mounted accelerometers. Its improved electronics respond faster andmore smoothly to driver inputs and contribute to class-leading ride quality.
- Available Performance TractionManagement.
Thejewel in the center
The new Stingray’s heart is Chevy’s next-generation 6.2l Small Block V-8 LT2 engine, the only naturally aspirated V-8 in the segment. It will produce 495 horsepower and 637 Nm of torque when equipped with performance exhaust – the most horsepower and torque for any entry Corvette.
The powertrain’s low position enables a lowcenter of gravity for optimal handling. Perhaps the biggest update is found inthe lubrication and ventilation system. For the first time ever, the baseStingray will use an engine-mounted dry sump oil system and three scavengepumps for improved track performance.
During serious track driving, oil volumeremains high to avoid diminished performance. The new Stingray’s lateralcapability is greatly improved, so the LT2’s dry sump lubrication system had tobe redesigned to provide exceptional engine performance even at lateralacceleration levels exceeding 1G in all directions.
A lightweight, 3.2 mm-thick glass panel onthe rear hatch allows owners to show off the engine. This panel features acantilevered trailing edge to evacuate heat from the LT2 engine compartment.
Othernotable engine characteristics include:
- Jewel-like setting in the rearcompartment, visible through the rear glass hatch.
- Every part, including theexhaust system’s wires, tubes, routing fasteners, coolant hoses, exhaustmanifold and even the bolts and fasteners, is built with appearance in mind.All engine components were given careful consideration just like the exterior,and even the heat shields are textured.
- A brand-new block and ventsystem. The centerline of the crankshaft sits 2,5 cm (one inch) lower to theground where it mates to the transaxle for better handling.
- Low-profile oil pan thatreduces mass.
- Oil cooler capacity increasedby 25 percent.
- Standard edge Red valve covers.
- A shift of a different kind
The next generation LT2 is paired withChevrolet’s first eight speed dual-clutch transmission (DCT), which provideslightning-fast shifts and excellent power transfer. This transmission isuniquely designed with TREMEC to provide the best of both worlds: the spirited,direct connected feeling of a manual and the premium driving comfort of anautomatic. The double-paddle de-clutch feature even allows the driver todisconnect the clutch by holding both paddles for more manual control.
Paddle shifters allow drivers to choose aspecific gear. “The performance shift algorithms are so driver-focused,they can sense when you’re doing spirited driving – regardless of driving mode– and will hold lower gears longer for more throttle response,” said Juechter.
The new Small Block V-8 has a torque curveoptimized to take advantage of the bespoke DCT’s lightning-fast shifts.Engineers set the DCT up with a very low first gear to leverage the additionaltraction to get the car off the line quickly, and its close-ratio gears 2through 6 keep the engine near the power peak on track. Tall seventh and eighthgears make for easy long-distance cruising with low mechanical stress andexcellent fuel economy.
The DCT is mated to a new ElectronicTransmission Range Selector. With this electric shifter there’s no mechanicalinterface between the shift lever and the transmission. The Corvette’s electricshifter incorporates two pull toggles for Reverse and Drive and push buttonsfor Park, Neutral and Low/Manual. The shifter has been designed to be moreattractive and compact than a standard shifter.
All-newtechnology improves performance and usability
Driver mode choices have been expanded fromfour to six, allowing drivers to tweak the feel of their Corvettes to theirpersonal preference. The familiar Weather, Tour, Sport and Track modes remain,and there are two new modes:
- MyMode, a configurable settingfor preferred driving style that can remain between key cycles.
- Z mode, named after the famedZ06, ZR1 and Z51 Corvette performance packages, is activated through a“Z” button on the steering wheel. This is a single-use mode thattakes MyMode configurations one step further, allowing drivers to adjust theengine and transmission as well.
- The new Chevrolet Corvette C8Stingray benefits from GM’s new digital vehicle platform, an all-new electronicarchitecture that enables the adoption of the company’s next generation oftechnologies. The architecture minimizes wiring while allowing for fastersignal transmission between different vehicle systems and the higher resolutionscreens. The platform enables continuous vehicle improvements throughover-the-air updates and enhanced cybersecurity measures.