Published on August 11th, 2019 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez3
5 Reasons why Malaysians are picking a SUV over a Sedan
The last few years we have seen a marked change in Malaysian car purchasing behaviour. The typical sedan buyer is slowly moving into a new market segment. Not all of them. But enough to make car brands nervous to some extent.
So, what is a sedan? “A sedan is a type of passenger car that usually has a three-box configuration with pillars simply identified as A, B, and C”. A sedan is also made up of three primary compartments, which include the engine, cargo, and passenger.
The passenger compartment typically has two rows of seating. A driver and passenger are easily accommodated in the front while three passengers can be accommodated in the second row.
SUV is short for sports utility vehicle. This particular type of vehicle entered the market during the seventies and eighties and was the invention of the American car market. Unlike the sedan, SUVs are designed with height in mind.
The idea is to be able to give its driver a much more complete view of the road ahead. At the same time, the height of an SUV also allows it to pass right over various raised kerbs and potholes easily and without scraping its bottom.
So here are the 5 most common reasons why Malaysians are picking a SUV over a SEDAN.
- A SUV has more interior space…….but the same goes for a station wagon and Malaysians hardly buy station wagons!
- You get higher ride height…..important for the many flash floods we get, especially in Klang Valley.
- Easier to carry pets/animals…….station wagons are actually better as they have a lower rear loading height.
- SUV’s have the option of the 3rd row seat which some owners want and need.
- SUV’s are sometimes priced lower than a sedan…..this is hard to explain when it’s the same brand and both are matching in engine size and features.