Published on November 21st, 2019 | by Subhash Nair0
Lexus LC 500 Convertible Debuts in the USA
The car was shown at the LA Motor Show 2019 and will go on sale in Q3 2020.
Under the hood, the LC 500 Convertible is pretty similar to the Coupe. But removing that roof takes a lot of reengineering. Here’s what they’ve done.
- Retention of aerodynamic performance and weight distribution
- The line of the rear trunk lid has been lifted and widened
- The automatic roof folding mechanism stores the top under an integrated tonneau cover.
- Beltline that kicks up at the end of the doors, so the body wraps around the cabin
- The 4-layer soft top with the same roofline of the coupe
- Supporting frame is not visible through the fabric of the soft top
- The fabric has optimal tension and no wrinkling, with good sound insulation.
- A large colour palette for the exterior and the soft top
- Gradating quilting and perforation pattern on the upper portion of the seats, as well as the “L” logo embossed on the back of headrests.
- Movement of the retractable soft top is carefully controlled especially at the beginning and end to yield a sense of quality and safety for the driver.
- The roof can be opened or closed up while driving up to 50 km/h
- The body structure is as rigid as the Coupe
- Strategic placement and shape of the rear suspension tower brace
- The car’s structural rigidity has been significantly enhanced
- The brace is composed of lightweight die cast aluminum to minimize added weight, and a “PERFORMANCE DAMPER®*2” is adopted for high-quality ride comfort.
- Other braces are located under the body, and materials such as magnesium and aluminum
For more on the new Lexus LC 500 Convertible, check out the press release below.
The much-anticipated convertible version of the Lexus LC 500 flagship coupe made its global debut today in Los Angeles. The LC 500 Convertible will be on display at the 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show, which runs from November 18 to December 1, 2019.
The LC lineup is representative of Lexus’ evolution towards becoming a luxury lifestyle brand, providing driving pleasure and excitement to enrich customers’ lifestyles. The new LC 500 Convertible joins the coupe as aspirational halo models for the entire Lexus lineup, providing unique driving experiences that stimulate the senses, and express ultimate beauty.
The exterior of the new LC artfully blends the coupe’s unique roofline with the character of a convertible, achieving beauty with the top open or closed. The interior design considers how details such as the tonneau cover and seating materials become part of the design impression when viewed from the outside.
The new model follows the coupe’s ‘Exhilarating Performance’ driving signature, providing a sense of unity with nature and an exhilarating driving experience that can only be enjoyed with a convertible.
The interior body structure has optimal placement and shape of braces to yield high dynamic performance faithful to the driver’s intentions. And thanks to the car’s robust and sensual sounding V8, the LC 500 Convertible accelerates in a pleasantly linear manner. To further enhance the driving experience, the LC 500 Convertible comes equipped with neck heaters and a transparent wind deflector―supporting the leading comfort and quiet that is Lexus’ DNA.
The new LC 500 Convertible is scheduled to go on sale in summer 2020.
Main Features of the LC 500 Convertible
A stunning design with the top up or down, featuring Lexus’ signature attention to detail
- With the exterior styling based on that of the LC coupe, the convertible retains excellent aerodynamic performance and optimal weight distribution, incorporating functional beauty into the design. The soft-top roof provides a unique silhouette and sporty disposition befitting a convertible. The line of the rear trunk lid has been lifted and widened to create a dynamic side view and emphasize the low-and-wide stance.
- To ensure that the convertible version of the LC 500 retains a beautiful silhouette when the top is lowered, the automatic folding mechanism stores the top under an integrated tonneau cover. Because the designers incorporated a beltline that kicks up at the end of the doors, the vehicle’s profile is characterized by a body that wraps around the cabin, providing an overall tight and clean appearance.
- The 4-layer soft top has been designed to retain the flowing roofline of the coupe, without the supporting frame visible through the fabric. Furthermore, the fabric of the roof has been carefully selected and manufactured to ensure optimal tension and no wrinkling, with improved sound insulation.
- The color palettes of the exterior and the soft top, as well as the elegant hues of the interior, were carefully selected and combined to cater to the LC customer’s high sense of style, taste and diverse lifestyles.
- The interior features details such as gradating quilting and perforation pattern on the upper portion of the seats, as well as the “L” logo embossed on the back of headrests.
- When opening and closing the soft top, the movement is carefully controlled especially at the beginning and end to yield a sense of quality and safety for the driver. The movement of the top and the tonneau cover have been precisely synched to achieve an elegant and natural movement, while ensuring class-leading opening and closing speeds.
- The roof can be opened or closed while the vehicle is traveling at up to 50 km/h, and an animation display within the instrument gauges allows the driver to easily monitor the top’s operation progress.
Fusion of the Lexus driving signature ‘Exhilarating Performance’ with a convertible driving experience
- The body structure of the LC 500 Convertible was newly designed to achieve a rigidity level supporting Lexus driving signature equal to the Coupe, while simultaneously offering both beautiful styling and sufficient luggage space.
- Thanks to the strategic placement and shape of the rear suspension tower brace, the car’s structural rigidity has been significantly enhanced. The brace is composed of lightweight die cast aluminum to minimize added weight, and a “PERFORMANCE DAMPER®*2” is adopted for high-quality ride comfort. Other braces are located under the body, and materials such as magnesium and aluminum are used to achieve both high rigidity and light weight. The result is dynamic performance faithful to the driver’s intentions.
- The naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8, mated to the DirectShift-10 automatic transmission, gives the LC linear-yet-invigorating acceleration. Power output is tuned according to the driving scene, with smooth acceleration character during normal commuting, and acceleration at the limit when the driver desires.
- In order to make the LC 500 Convertible’s V8 more enjoyable when the top is down, a sound generator transmits sensual engine intake sounds through the dash panel, while an exhaust valve enhances the powerful engine sound.
Thoughtful in-cabin experience reflecting Lexus’ “Human Centered” philosophy
- In order to create a space to feel with excitement of open-air driving without hindering conversation in the car, we focused on aerodynamics such as the beltline and rear molding. In combination with the transparent polycarbonate wind deflector, wind flow inside the car is suppressed and excellent quietness is achieved.
- Sound management is a key part of Lexus’ DNA, and the interior space of the LC 500 Convertible stimulates the senses with emotional engine sounds. Active Noise Control (ANC), combined with sound insulation and absorption techniques, suppresses unwanted noises and unpleasant sound frequencies.
- The audio system faithfully reproduces the original sounds of each instrument, vocals, and recording environment. Additionally, the acoustic design automatically changes with the top up or down, providing an acoustic space that can be enjoyed in every situation.
- The Lexus Climate Concierge is used to automatically control air conditioning, seat heaters, neck heaters, and steering wheel heater, all while considering whether the top is up or down – making the convertible version of the LC 500’s cabin comfortable for its passengers regardless of the temperature outside.