Published on May 27th, 2020 | by Subhash Nair0
BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo Facelift Revealed
The BMW 6 GT just received its mid lifecycle facelift the same day as the 5 Series. The 6 Series Gran Turismo is a little bit controversial amongst enthusiasts, as it appropriates the identity of its predecessors in an attempt to give (what is essentially) the 5 Series Gran Turismo an elevated status. But, it’s BMW’s product and legacy and they can do whatever they like with it, including locally assemble it for the Malaysian market.
We’ve no clue if the facelift model will also be locally-assembled and if the engine option will be unchanged, as the facelifted 630i has a 48V mild hybrid system that’s not present on the outgoing model.
Petrol Mild Hybrid Options
BMW 630i Gran Turismo
- 2.0L Inline 4 turbo + 48V mild hybrid system
- 8-speed Steptronic transmission
- Output: 258hp, 400Nm of torque
- 0-100km/h: 6.5 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h
BMW 640i xDrive Gran Turismo
- 3.0L Inline 6 turbo + 48V mild hybrid system
- 8-speed Steptronic transmission
- Output: 333hp, 450Nm of torque
- 0-100km/h: 5.5 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h
Here’s the press release with more.
- Premiere of the new BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo: Precisely modified exterior design hones the sporting profile and distinctive characteristics of the dynamic five-door model; high-quality materials and equipment features enhance the sumptuous ambience of the interior; 48V mild hybrid technology raises efficiency and dynamism; cutting-edge innovations in the areas of driver assistance, control/operation and connectivity.
- Unique vehicle concept in the premium executive class brings long-distance comfort together with sporty looks with intelligent functionality. More than 50,000 units of the BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo now sold worldwide. Production for global markets at BMW Plant Dingolfing. Market launch of the new BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo from July 2020.
- Redesigned front and rear ends bring increased presence and powerful sporting allure; larger BMW kidney grille and slimmer headlights accentuate the car’s dynamic character; new Adaptive LED Headlights with matrix technology fitted as standard, latest version of BMW Laserlight can be ordered as an option; exceptionally clear surfacing emphasises the width of the rear end; all model variants now with trapezoidal exhaust tailpipe finishers.
- New exterior colours and additional BMW Individual paint finishes, M Sport package with new, particularly striking front apron and large diffuser element at the rear. Optional M Sport brakes now with a choice of blue or red-painted callipers.
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels fitted as standard on the most powerful petrol and diesel engines, new light-alloy wheels in 19- and 20-inch formats available as an optional.
- Unrivalled blend of luxurious ambience, travelling comfort and interior variability. New combination of 12.3-inch Control Display and instrument cluster fitted as standard. Controls on the centre console now in High-gloss Black, leather sports steering wheel with newly arranged multifunction buttons and two-zone automatic climate control with extended features are standard. Optional Sensatec instrument panel now available with brown contrast stitching.
- Dakota leather upholstery comes as standard, BMW Individual full leather trim optional. New interior trim strips added, including Aluminium Rhombicle Smoke Grey (in cars specified with the M Sport package) and exquisite fine wood variants.
- New high-quality options for enhanced travelling comfort: ambient lighting with dynamic interior lighting, further developed Rear-seat entertainment Professional. Also available: four-zone automatic climate control, panoramic glass sunroof, electrically adjustable roller sunblinds, Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System.
- Two petrol and three diesel engines available. All engine variants now with 48V mild hybrid technology. More rapid response and greater efficiency thanks to 48V starter-generator with extra 8 kW/11 hp to boost the combustion engine’s power and ease its workload.
- Further developed BMW TwinPower Turbo technology: Four- and six-cylinder petrol engines with optimised direct injection; all diesel engines now with two-stage turbocharging. All four- and six-cylinder petrol engines now comply with the Euro 6d emissions standard.
- Eight-speed Steptronic transmission standard for all model variants. BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive either standard or optional for three engine variants.
- Optional Integral Active Steering now offers greater assistance in low-speed manoeuvring. Rear-axle air suspension with automatic self-levelling fitted as standard. Also available as an option: adaptive two-axle air suspension, adaptive suspension, Executive Drive with active roll stabilisation.
- New driver assistance systems and extended functions smooth the way to automated driving. The Lane Departure Warning component of the optional Driving Assistant now also has the lane return function. Steering and Lane Control Assistant (part of the optional Driving Assistant Professional) now also includes Active Navigation, automatic formation of emergency lane, and junction warning with city braking function. Optional Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function now includes adaptive distance control.
- 3D visualisation of the surrounding area shows traffic situations and possible inputs from driver assistance systems in the instrument cluster.
- Optional Parking Assistant with additional reversing assistant; BMW Drive Recorder shoots up to 40 seconds of video of the area around the vehicle.
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional fitted in the new BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo as standard. BMW Operating System 7 optimises intuitive operation, opens up a wealth of new application and connectivity possibilities and enables extended personalisation.
- BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant digital companion has extended functions; optimised interaction using new graphic in the Control Display.
- Premiere for BMW Maps: New cloud-based navigation system enables extremely fast and precise calculation of routes and arrival times; updating of real-time traffic data at short intervals; free choice of words to select navigation destinations.
- Standard smartphone integration now also with Android Auto (in addition to Apple CarPlay); wireless connectivity via WiFi; information shown in the Control Display, instrument cluster and optional Head-Up Display.
- Remote Software Upgrade enables integration of vehicle-specific content and updates – such as functionality extensions for driver assistance systems – over the air. Vehicle software is always up to date; digital services can be added at a later stage.