Published on July 1st, 2020 | by Subhash Nair0
BMW Motorrad Malaysia Launch New S 1000 XR, Tease R 18
BMW Motorrad Malaysia have introduced the all-new S 1000 XR and teased the arrival of the all-new R 18.
The new S 1000 XR brings the following new features and highlights:
- New 999cc in-line four-cylinder engine
- 165 hp at 11,000 rpm, 114 Nm at 9,250 rpm
- top speed of 200km/h
- 6 litres of fuel per 100 km of travel
- 4th, 5th and 6th gear now have longer ratios
- Smoother and self-reinforcing anti-hopping clutch
- electrically controlled engine drag torque control (MSR)
- lightweight exhaust system
- New Flex Frame and new suspension system
- New layout with for fuel tanks, body parts and more
- Improved knee grips
- Integrated Pannier Holder
- Toll card compartment
- Main centre stand
- Hand protection guard
- Heated grips
- Weight reduction of 10kg vs predecessor
- Turn indicators and rear light unit
- LED Headlight
- Adaptive cornering lights
- Headlight Pro DRL (Daytime Riding Light)
- Two colour choices only: Ice Grey and Racing Red
- 4 riding modes as standard – Rain, Road, Dynamic and Dynamic Pro
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and DTC Wheelie function
- ABS Pro
- Hill Start Control Pro
- BMW MotorradDynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment),
- Dynamic ESA Pro with two damping modes and automatic load compensation
- dynamic brake assistant DBC (Dynamic Brake Control)
- integrated Keyless Ride function
- 6.5-inch TFT screen
- Motorcycle Multi Controller
- Optional accessories including Panniers, Top Case and Soft Bags for storage, Carbon Fiber Crash Bars, M Machined parts and Low, Tall or Tinted Windshield.
On the R 18, there’s a few things to note:
- Malaysia will receive just 18 units
- They will all be First Edition bikes
Here’s the press release with more on the R 18.
Limited to only 18 units in Malaysia, the All-New BMW R 18 large capacity classic boxer features the First Edition logo with pin stripe design on gloss black paint – invoking an unparalleled sense of style and edge. The new cruiser’s impressive presence is further elevated by the Chrome handle bars, shifter lever, handle end caps, cylinder head covers and crank covers as well as air intake.
The luxurious cruiser offers clear illumination with the full LED headlight, as well as LED rear and brake lights included in the rear indicators. The high-quality ‘Machined’ engine housing cover made of milled aluminium, created in collaboration with Roland Sands Design, features an attractive colour contrast between black and silver. The All-New BMW R 18 also features double striping and chromed design elements.
Powering the All-New BMW R 18 is the biggest displacement boxer engine BMW has ever built. The air/oil-cooled two-cylinder four-stroke boxer engine with two chain-driven camshafts placed above the drive shaft bears a capacity of 1,802 cc capable of amaximum torque of 158 Nm at 3000 rpm and maximum speed of 180km/h.
The All-New BMW R 18 is also equipped with electronic intake pipe fuel injection with twin-spark ignition. Fuel consumption of the new cruiser is 5.6 litres per 100km of travel. Emission control is offered via a regulated three-way catalytic converter. The alternator in the All-New BMW R 18 is a 600W permanent magnet generator paired with a maintenance-free 12 V/26 Ah battery.
Power is transmitted to the new cruiser via a single-disk dry clutch with a 6-gear shifting claw transmission in a separate transmission housing. The secondary open, nickel-plated driveshaft, meanwhile, puts focus on the torque. In terms of suspension, the new cruiser comes with a double-cradle steel frame with screwed-on under beams. The front suspension is offered via the classic telescopic fork with fork sleeves and cantilever suspension strut with travel-dependent damping. In the rear is the steel swinging fork with central shock strut.
A 300mm twin disk brake with 4-piston fixed callipers in front is also standard to the All-New BMW R 18, with single disk brakes in the rear. The BMW Motorrad Integral Anti-Lock Braking System (partially integral) is also available to prevent wheel lock in hard braking situations. The new cruiser is also equipped with the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and features three riding modes: Rock, Roll and Rain.
The All-New BMW R 18 is also fitted with a specifically designed circular instrument with multifunctional display. The circular instrument features an analogue speedometer display for a classic style. As with other BMW Motorrad models, the Keyless Ride system also replaces the conventional ignition steering lock in the All-New BMW R 18.
The new cruiser now features the reverse gear and lockable fuel filter cap as standard. To further personalise the All-New BMW R 18, owners also have the option to accessorise with a variety of wheel seats, handlebars, valve covers, engine breast plate, luggage range as well as the engine protection bar, amongst other optional accessories.
The All-New BMW R 18 First Edition will be available from October 2020. However, advance online reservation is now open at https://bmwmotorrad-r18.com/R18.
With the Financing Plan from BMW Group Financial Services Malaysia, ownership of the All-New BMW S 1000 XR starts from RM1,969.00 per month, while the All-New BMW R 18 First Edition starts from RM2,525.00 per month. This is based on estimates of 80% loan on a 5-year tenure.
Owners can also enjoy additional benefits with the All-New Industry-Leading Premium Engine Oil Inclusive, Service Inclusive and Warranty Extension Programmes by BMW Motorrad Malaysia. For more information on the programmes, please visit https://www.bmwmotorrad.com.my/en/service/services/warranty.html.
The retail price and recommended retail price* (on the road, without insurance, and with BMW Motorrad Malaysia’s All-New 3-Year Warranty and 3-Year Roadside Assistance Programmes) for the All-New BMW S 1000 XR and the All-New BMW R 18 First Edition respectively are:
The All-New BMW S 1000 XR:RM121,500.00
The All-New BMW R 18 First Edition:RM156,500.00*