Published on December 3rd, 2020 | by Subhash Nair0
BMW And MINI Have New Apps Coming
When it comes to the a complete, digitalised customer experience, BMW Group certainly try to be at the forefront. They created the BMW i Remote app and the BMW Connected app along with many integrated services.
- Displays information on the status of the vehicle, allows functions to be activated remotely if available
- Integrated search function can send 3rd party navigation directions to the vehicle’s on-board navigation system
- If Remote Software Upgrades are available, the app can download these on the phone and transfer them to the car later
- Easier set up of the BMW Digital Key for iPhone users
- For cars equipped with BMW Operating System 7, Amazon Alexa can now be used in vehicle.
- For PHEVs and EVs, customers can set specific time slots for charging and set departure times and for pre-conditioning
- New BMW Points will reward customers for electric driving in a BMW plugin hybrid model. These points can be redeemed at BMW Charging Stations
- Individual preferences can be sent to other BMWs by scanning a QR code and transferring settings
- Contact BMW Service Partners directly and monitor car’s service requirements in the app. BMW Roadside Assistance and service appointments can be made via the app.
Most of these features will be available in parts of Europe, China and Korea. Many BMW-specific features apply to the MINI app. We’ve included the MINI press release below for more specifics. Some features may not ever be available in Malaysia, but we’re sure these apps themselves will be.
MINI App features and highlights
- IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO VEHICLE STATUS AND FUNCTIONS. The MINI App is the new universal interface to the vehicle. It displays information about the status of the vehicle and, given required options, allows access to remote services as, for instance, locating the vehicle or locking and unlocking the doors.
- HANDY NAVIGATION FEATURES. Destinations are easy to find using the integrated search function and can be sent directly from the app to the vehicle’s navigation system. It is also possible to send destinations from third-party apps. The map shows the current traffic situation, petrol stations and charging stations as well as parking facilities.
- SMART SERVICES TO SUPPORT CUSTOMERS’ E-MOBILITY LIFESTYLE. The app offers new services for the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid and the all-electric MINI Cooper SE, e.g. an improved overview of the electrical range, the charging status and charging history. Using the app’s charging and climate timer, customers can optimise the charging process by defining specific time windows and departure times. In addition, the vehicle can be pre-conditioned (e.g. by heating in winter or cooling in summer) to increase comfort.
- THE SHORTEST WAY TO MINI AFTERSALES SERVICE. The MINI App enables direct contact with a MINI Service Partner and customers can keep an eye on their vehicle’s service requirements. If required, an appointment can be made directly in the app. The MINI Roadside Assistance can also be reached via the app in the event of problems with the vehicle. If approval is given, service staff can see the location of the vehicle and its status for immediate over-the-air assistance. At the same time, customers can track the arrival of the service vehicle. The MINI Online Shop can also be conveniently accessed from the app.
The new app generation can be downloaded free of charge from the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. By mid-2021 the MINI App will be available in more than 40 countries and 23 languages.