Published on March 20th, 2014 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Suzuki Swift SPORT Is The Nürburgring KING
A Suzuki Swift Sport has completed an incredible 59 000 km on the infamous Nürburgring racing circuit in Germany, also known as the ‘Green Hell’, without missing a beat. The Swift Sport was part of Rent4Ring’s race track rental fleet for two years, where it clocked up thousands of hard track kilometres without complaint. Rent4Ring runs a fleet of race-prepared Swift Sport hatchbacks for rent by driving enthusiasts who want to experience what it’s like driving around the world’s most notorious race track.
The car’s logbook is fascinating:
- The Swift Sport covered 59 000 km on the Nürburgring’s 20,8 km Nordschleife.
- That equates to some 2 830 laps, or 600 hours of race track driving – the same as 25 Nürburgring 24-hour endurance races.
- During that time, the Swift allowed 457 drivers to experience the Nürburgring’s special magic – fast drivers, slow drivers … and even awful drivers.
- The peak engine speed achieved was 8 761 r/min, while gear changes totalled 168 000. The 1,6-litre 16-valve engine notched up a total of 180-million revolutions.
The car’s consumption, spare parts and servicing are equally impressive:
- The Swift Sport consumed 8 400 litres of high-octane petrol, reflecting an average fuel consumption of 14 litres/100 km – in race conditions.
- Regular oil changes accounted for 55 litres of synthetic oil, but the gearbox oil was only changed twice.
- A total of 27 front brake pads, and 10 rear pads, were replaced.
- The brake fluid was replaced three times.
- The Swift Sport went through 14 sets of semi-slick tyres.
- The only spare parts required during the two years were a stock Suzuki clutch, an alternator, a new battery, a front left wheel bearing, and a set of wipers.
The Swift Sport never broke down mechanically, and was never crashed during its tenure at Rent4Ring. And while the general rule of thumb is that a car is reduced to scrap after 1 000 laps of the Nordschleife, the Suzuki Swift emerged from its two-year, 2 800 lap ordeal, ready and asking for more! In fact, it was purchased by one of Rent4Ring’s regular customers, and is now used as a track day runabout at the Nürburgring and other racing circuits. Now that is why the Suzuki Swift and Swift Sports makes for a great hot hatch!