Published on October 6th, 2015 | by Subhash Nair0
Mitsubishi USA Details its Final Edition of the Lancer Evolution
In its 10th and final generation, the Lancer Evolution is a car that is beloved by many and arguably the originator of the four-door sports car genre. To send it off in style, Mitsubishi will offer a limited-production, Final Edition model; only 1,600 numbered Final Edition models will be produced.
Already known for its pulse-pounding performance, the Lancer Evolution Final Edition increases horsepower to 303 and torque to 305 lb-ft. Performance is further added by use of lightweight two-piece Brembo® brake rotors up front, accompanied by Bilstein® shock absorbers and Eibach® springs at all four corners. As with all 2015 Lancer Evolutions, the Final Edition features Mitsubishi’s Super All Wheel control.
The 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition model comes equipped with the following standard features:
- Turbocharged and intercooled 2.0-liter MIVEC DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder
- 303 horsepower and 305 lb-ft torque
- Bilstein® shock absorbers and Eibach® springs
- Brembo® 2-piece front rotors
- Final Edition Badge
- Black painted aluminum roof
- Gloss black center bumper and hood air outlet
- Dark chrome painted Enkei® alloy wheels
- Dark chrome front grille surround
- Auto on/off bi-xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights with leveling control
- Colors: New Pearl White, Octane Blue, Rally Red, Mercury Gray
- Black pillars, sun visors, assist handles and headliner
- Gloss black center console box with production serial number plaque (US0001 ~ US1600)
- Red stitch accents on sports seats, steering wheel, shift knob, console lid, floormats, and e-brake handle
- Final Edition animation on meter display
- Advanced seven (7) air bag SRS system including driver’s side knee air bag, dual-stage front air bags with occupant seat position sensors, front seat mounted side-impact air bags and front and rear curtain side air bags
- Sport anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Engine immobilizer anti-theft security alarm system
- Mitsubishi Motors’ patented Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) safety cell body construction
- 3-year/36,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty
- 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain limited warranty
- 7-year/100,000 mile anti-corrosion perforation limited warranty
- 5-year/unlimited mile roadside assistance
One of the most sophisticated all-wheel drive systems ever developed for a production car, the Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) system, working in concert with the Lancer Evolution’s superbly engineered suspension, provides an otherworldly degree of performance and tractability for the 2015 Lancer Evolution.
What’s more, to precisely maximize the S-AWC system’s performance, the driver can choose between three selectable traction mode settings – “Tarmac,” “Gravel” and “Snow,” the latter setting providing maximum tractability and performance in poor weather/road conditions and/or on low-grip surfaces.
The S-AWC system found in Mitsubishi Motors’ four-door sports car includes numerous high-tech components/systems to deliver such a remarkable level of traction and agility: Active Yaw Control (AYC), Active Center Differential (ACD), Active Stability Control (ASC) and Sport Anti-lock Braking (ABS).
Active Yaw Control (AYC)
Controls torque distribution to the vehicle’s rear wheels through brakeforce control from the Active Stability Control (ASC) system, as well as from the planetary gear rear differential and yaw rate sensors.
Active Center Differential (ACD)
Manages the power routed to the wheels via an electronically-controlled multi-plate clutch based on a number of parameters including throttle opening, individual wheel speeds, and steering wheel angle. The Active Center Differential (ACD) allows for up to a 50:50 torque split between the front and rear wheels.
Active Stability Control (ASC)
Oversees the traction and stability control systems and helps prevent wheel slip and regulates brake force and power distribution at each individual wheel for improved traction and stability when cornering.
Sport Anti-lock Brakes (ABS)
Utilizes data from the yaw rate sensors and the S-AWC system, along with advanced brake pressure, to rapidly decelerate the vehicle with exceptional control and aplomb.
The Lancer Evolution Final Edition’s suspension features inverted MacPherson struts up front with a multilink design at the rear, with suspension control arms composed of aluminum (the Lancer Evolution’s hood, roof, front fenders and front and rear bumper beams are also made from the strong yet lightweight alloy), Eibach® springs and Bilstein® shock absorbers with stabilizer bar.
High Potency Turbocharged/Intercooled Powerplant
Based on the design that powered Finnish racing legend Tommi Mäkinen to four straight titles in the grueling World Rally Championship (WRC), the turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder 2.0-liter engine found beneath the hood of every 2015 Mitsubishi Final Edition Lancer Evolution model delivers instantaneous power and torque at virtually any rpm within the powerband.
Consisting of a reinforced cast-aluminum block and an aluminum cylinder head and fitted with the latest edition of Mitsubishi Motors’ innovative MIVEC variable valve-timing system, this impressive engine’s architecture features a “square” design as both its bore and stroke measure an equal 86.0 mm, accompanied by a compression ratio of 9.0:1.
The power output from this whirlwind of an engine for the Final Edition is rated at 303 horsepower at 6,500 rpm with a full 305 lb-ft of torque starting at the 4,000 rpm level.
The Lancer Evolution’s distinctive and throaty exhaust note is due to the free-flowing dual exhaust outlets. The stainless steel exhaust manifold and turbocharger are located at the rear of the transversely-mounted engine and close to the firewall, which helps to improve weight distribution.
Lancer Evolution Final Edition comes standard with a short-throw, 5-speed manual transmission. EPA fuel economy is rated at 17 mpg city/23 mpg highway.
Exemplary Safety Features and Mitsubishi Motors’ Outstanding Warranty
Owners of the 2015 Mitsubishi Final Edition Lancer Evolution will find protection not only in the form of advanced safety features and technologies included on every vehicle as part of its standard equipment package but will also benefit from the Japanese auto manufacturer’s outstanding vehicle warranty.
Helping to protect the vehicle’s occupants in the event of an accident are Mitsubishi Motors’ patented next-generation Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) technology to help disperse energy from the cabin section as well as the fuel system; a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS); and a supplemental restraint system (SRS) with occupant sensors and a total of seven (7) air bags: a driver’s side knee air bag, two front air bags, two front seat-mounted side-impact air bags and two side curtain air bags.
Every 2015 Mitsubishi Final Edition Lancer Evolution model includes an extensive vehicle protection program consisting of a 3-year/36,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty; 7-year/100,000-mile anti-corrosion perforation limited warranty; 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain limited warranty; and a 5-year/unlimited mile roadside assistance program.