Published on February 15th, 2016 | by Subhash Nair0
Toyota Urban Utility Concept Vehicle Combines the best of a Van and an SUV
Visit Toyota and discover a vision for Ever Better Cars, beginning with the Toyota Urban Utility concept vehicle (“U Squared”), which makes its global motor show debut at the 2016 Canadian International Auto Show, February 12-21 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. This unique concept introduces a fusion of utility van, truck and passenger car and compliments the rise of the do-it-yourself movement that is transforming cities with invention-focused Maker Faire events and growing entrepreneurship.
The U2 concept is also the perfect vehicle for young, urban drivers who lead an active lifestyle and have embraced adventure. It’s a flexible, functional mobile gadget that owners can customise according to their individual, on-the-go needs. Its custom graphics and interior colours and materials make the U2 concept a reflection of the owner’s style, while its compact footprint makes the U2 concept easy to drive and park in crowded urban cores.
Prior to developing this unique Urban Utility Concept vehicle, researchers at Calty met with notable makers in San Francisco, at the Bay Area Maker Faire, to understand their lifestyle, needs, and the challenges they face when it comes to mobility.
The Toyota U2 concept’s unique design and the details sparked by that research were not lost on the exclusive group of Toronto makers and entrepreneurs who were treated to a sneak preview earlier this week at the historic Arstcape Wychwood Barns, where they marvelled at the unique configurability and features such as:
- Side windows that flip up easily for more access from roadside
- Rear space that may be used anywhere from fully closed to completely open –
- Retracting roof panels
- Rear glass panel that slides into the tailgate
- A fold-down tailgate which reconfigures into a ramp
- Retractable utility bar to customise for unique uses, from workspace to grocery bag hooks
- A versatile utility rail system allowing configurations to accommodate everything from baskets to bike stands
- Foldable and removable front passenger seat
- Fold-up rear seating
- Durable underbody
- Iconic modern design elements including a selection of colours and materials to suit a variety of tastes.