Published on May 5th, 2016 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Golf GTI Clubsport S Now the Fastest Front-Wheel Drive Car on the Nordschleife
The Golf GTI Clubsport S breaks the lap record for front-wheel-drive cars on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, with a time of 07:49:21. It was driven by Benjamin Leuchter who is a race car driver and Volkswagen Driving Experience instructor.
This exclusive GTI is a two-seater with a 310 PS engine and newly configured chassis.
Ten key facts – the Golf GTI Clubsport S in keywords
- The most powerful Golf GTI ever breaks the lap record for front-wheel-drive production cars on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, with a time of 07:49:21.
- Only 400 of the limited edition Golf GTI Clubsport S, which delivers 310 PS and can go from 0-100 km/h in just 5.8 seconds, will be made.
- Uniquely, the Golf GTI Clubsport S has a Nürburgring setting, which can be accessed using the driving profile selector.
- The Nürburgring setting finetunes the adaptive chassis control DCC, engine, steering and sound to suit the Nordschleife.
- The chassis of the Golf GTI Clubsport S was fine-tuned in extensive racetrack tests and completely reconfigured.
- With the EU unladen weight reduced to 1,285 kg, the 310 PS results in a sports car power-to-weight ratio of 4.15 kg/PS. (EU unladen weight incl. driver and luggage: 1,360 kg).
- New exhaust system sees tail pipes with an enlarged cross-section produce strong backfire when braking.
- The Golf GTI Clubsport S is a two-door, two-seat car, with the rear seats removed to save weight.
- The Golf GTI Clubsport S comes with 19-inch alloy wheels (“Pretoria”) and semi-slicks.
- The production number 001/400 to 400/400 in the interior reveals that the car is an exclusive special edition.