Published on October 7th, 2016 | by Subhash Nair0
Ford Kicks Off Production of Ranger at its FTM Plant in Thailand
Ford Motor Company announced the official start of production for the segment-defining Ranger pickup truck at its Ford Thailand Manufacturing (FTM) facility to help meet extraordinary demand across the Asia Pacific region.
The Ranger is also built at Ford’s joint-venture facility, AutoAlliance Thailand (AAT), which remains the company’s main production facility for Ranger in Asia Pacific.
With AAT forecast to operate at or near maximum capacity for the foreseeable future, Ford invested an additional US$186 million in the FTM facility to allow for increased Ranger production.
The Ranger is Ford’s best-selling pickup truck in the Asia Pacific region. This includes being the best-selling pickup truck overall in New Zealand, Vietnam, Taiwan, Cambodia and Myanmar, as well as the second-best selling pickup in Australia, Malaysia and the Philippines.
As the number three pickup truck in Thailand, the Ranger has continued to increase segment share since the all-new Ranger was launched in 2011. This includes capturing its highest ever share of the segment in August at more than 10 percent.
Ford is one of the largest automotive investors in Thailand, having invested a total of more than US$2.7 billion between its wholly-owned and joint-venture manufacturing facilities, and currently employs about 10,000 people in Thailand.
Ford launched the new Ranger last year, bringing a new level of comfort and refinement to its segment without compromising on the rugged, ‘Built Ford Tough’ heritage.
With an array of smart technologies combined with off-road capability and fuel efficiency, the new Ranger continues to set the industry benchmark in the pickup truck segment for design, comfort and refinement.
The Ford Ranger remains one of the most capable trucks in its class. With a class-leading ability to wade through water up to 800 mm deep, and with 230 mm of ground clearance. It is designed and engineered to handle to most extreme terrains with ease.
The smartest pick-up
The Ranger boasts a full array of cutting-edge technology to help drivers stay connected and in control.
- SYNC in-car connectivity systems allows drivers to use voice commands to control the car’s entertainment system and climate controls and features a user-friendly touchscreen with color-coded corners for easy menu navigation
- Front and Rear Park Assist uses sensors to detect obstacles and provide audible warnings when the vehicle approaches obstructions at low speeds, such as when parking. A rear-view camera gives a clear view behind the vehicle, giving greater confidence when parking and hitching up a trailer
- Electronic Stability Program with rollover mitigation and trailer sway control helps to keep the vehicle under control even in adverse conditions
- Other smart technologies on the new Ranger include:
- Hill Launch Assist, to help drivers confidently start off from a slope
- Hill Descent Control, which uses the traction control system to help drivers descend steep slopes at a constant speed
- Adaptive Load Control, which adjusts the Electronic Stability Control system based on vehicle load
- Emergency Brake Assistance, which provides additional pressure to the brake system to increase braking force when drivers apply the brakes quickly in an emergency situation