Published on October 30th, 2016 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Mercedes-AMG E63, 2018 Sedan, 10 reasons to buy one ASAP
Mercedes-AMG is redefining the performance sedan. The brand is turning the most intelligent executive sedan into the most powerful E-Class of all time with the next generation of the E63 and E63 S.
Mercedes-AMG is setting new benchmarks in this market segment with its innovative technologies. The intelligent drive strategy raises the limits of the performance sedan’s vehicle dynamics to a completely new level.
- The versatile AMG 4.0L V8 biturbo engine in the E63 S Sedan takes peak performance to a new level at 603 hp. Maximum torque attains a new best value of 850 Nm. It is available over a broad engine speed range of 2,500 to 4,500 rpm and provides an assured feeling of effortless performance in every accelerator pedal position. A sprint from zero to 60 mph takes only 3.3 seconds, and this dynamic acceleration only ends at the governed top speed of 186 mph.
- The base E63 variant is rated at 563 hp and has 750 Nm of torque. This variant accelerates to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds and has a governed top speed of 155 mph.
- Two twin-scroll turbochargers are deployed for the first time to boost performance and improve responsiveness further.
- For maximum efficiency, Mercedes-AMG has equipped the V8 engine with AMG Cylinder Management cylinder deactivation system. This technology first debuted on the SLK55 and helped to achieve impressively low consumption and emission values and is now being used with a turbocharged engine from the high-performance sports car brand for the first time. In the partial-load range cylinders two, three, five and eight are deactivated, which crucially lowers the fuel consumption.
- The AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT (Multi Clutch Technology) 9-speed sport transmission is combined with a wet start-off clutch for the first time.
- Both E63 models are exclusively available with the innovative and completely new AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive system. This newly engineered, intelligent system brings together the advantages of various drive configurations. Torque distribution on the front and rear axles is fully variable for the first time and ensures optimum traction right up to the physical limit.
- The exciting agility and high cornering speed of the new E63 and E63 S are also benefits of the completely re-engineered AMG sport suspension. It is based on the AIR BODY CONTROL fully supporting multi-chamber air suspension and affords very high camber stability for impressive cornering speeds. The excellent vehicle dynamics and steering precision are also combined with a high level of comfort.
- It is still possible to drift thanks to fully variable torque distribution. This is where Drift Mode, part of the standard specification for the E63 S, comes into its own. This can be activated in the “Race” drive program using the shift paddles, provided that ESP is deactivated and the transmission is in manual mode. When Drift Mode is activated, the E63 and the E63 S become purely rear-wheel drive vehicles. Drift Mode remains engaged until the driver deactivates it again.
- Every detail of the exterior and interior is designed to enable AMG Driving Performance to be experienced firsthand. The expressive exterior design is all about sinuous edges and defined muscles. With a completely distinctive design forward of the A-pillar, the sporty front also demonstrates the effort that Mercedes-AMG has put into the styling. For the first time on an AMG sedan, the hood is inset like on a coupe, thus exhibiting an entirely new, more dynamic approach to the sculpting. More powerful-looking and .67-inches wider, the wheel arches accommodate greater track width and larger wheels on the front axle.
- The new radiator grille with twin louvers in silver chrome, vertical black struts and “AMG” lettering likewise emphasizes the distinctive look. A wide front fascia inspired by the design of a jet wing, with flics in black and a large front splitter, impressively epitomizes the power of the new models.