Published on July 31st, 2017 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez2
7 Reasons To Test Drive Proton’s Refined Iriz 1.3L Manual
This is a refined Proton Iriz. Just released a few months ago, this latest variant of the Iriz comes after 45,000 units have found homes since its first introduction in September 2014. Proton management realized they need to compete with the discounted Volkswagen Polo and Perodua Myvi to stay relevant, so the refinements made to this Iriz include improved Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH), they added the Eco-Drive Assist Indicator as well as refinement in the ECU calibration that provides linear response for improved driveability.
We decided to test drive the base 1.3L 5-speed manual Iriz over a few days and here are 10 reasons why we think you should at least test drive this version for yourself if you are looking for basic motoring.
- The 1332cc petrol engine has a decent 94bhp.
- 5-speed manual is light and easy in heavy traffic.
- You will be genuinely impressed by its fuel consumption (depends the way you drive). The new ECO indicator is handy when you try and keep fuel consumption to the bare minimum.
- Admittedly the acceleration, flexibility of power delivery and outright top speed are not so attention grabbing, but the 1.3-litre is definitely not sluggish.
- Even steep hills didn’t cause any real problems with swift gearchanges.
- This Proton Iriz has a 5-Star ASEAN NCAP rating for all variants, equipped with comprehensive active and passive safety features such as Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Hill-Hold Assist, ISOFIX and top tether with airbags.
- It has a decent ‘total’ deprecation after 3-years of ownership (this you can check for yourself with the classifieds on 3-year old models). Priced at RM20,000 for a 3-year old 1.3L (loss of RM24k over 3-years) against a 2013 VW Polo 1.6L at RM32,000 (which is a loss of RM46k over 3–years). Perodua Myvi 1.3L 2013 model at RM25,000 (which is a loss of RM15k over 3-years).
What you get for your Ringgit with this Iriz manual is real value. Included in this 1.3L manual is a decent sounding easy to use CD/radio, power door mirrors and four electric windows, remote locking doors, height-adjustable driver’s seat, Driver Information Centre, and 14-inch alloy wheels and a 5-year warranty.
PROTON Iriz 1.3 Specifications
Engine: 4-cylinder DOHC 16V VVT
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Power: [email protected],750
Torque: [email protected],000