Published on October 1st, 2017 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Honda to Begin Sales of Refreshed Step WGN
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. started sales of a newly refreshed Step WGN last Friday in Japan. This MPV is only for the Japanese market for now and should find its way to Singapore and few other markets in the coming months. Sadly, it will not be sold officially in Malaysia just like the previous versions of this WGN. (some were brought in by parallel importers and owners love their WGN and hardly ever sell them despite their age).
The current version of Step WGN has been well-received by many customers especially for its functional cabin space and the revolutionary tailgate mechanism called the Waku Waku Gate (“Waku Waku” is a Japanese expression for “exciting”).
Through this minor model change, the Step WGN SPADA received a new exterior look and hybrid types equipped with the Honda Sport Hybrid i-MMD(1) two-motor hybrid system have been added to the SPADA lineup. Moreover, all types of the Step WGN Series now feature the Honda SENSING(2) suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies as standard equipment(3), further enhancing the lineup of functional features of Step WGN models.
Renewed exterior design of Step WGN SPADA
– Newly-adopted LED head lights express increased sharpness and a front grille designed exclusively for this model expresses an enhanced sense of presence. With these new items, a stylish and dynamic front mask was perfected to further highlight SPADA’s unique characteristics.
– Moreover, in consideration of aerodynamics, the form of the tailgate spoiler was modified, which led to the evolution of exterior design in a more sporty direction.
Hybrid types added to the Step WGN SPADA lineup
– Hybrid types equipped with the Honda Sport Hybrid i-MMD two-motor hybrid system are now available for the Step WGN SPADA. These hybrid types realize both high-quality and powerful driving performance together with top-in-class level(4) fuel economy of 25.0 km/L (JC08 mode(5)). Moreover, for the first time among Honda automobiles, SPADA’s fuel economy was certified under the Worldwide-Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Cycle (WLTC) mode(6), measured at 20.0 km/L.
– Exclusively-tuned suspensions were adopted for all hybrid types, and performance dampers(7) were adopted for the highest grade hybrid type to balance the occupant comfort and driving stability at a high level.
Enhanced functions of Honda SENSING, advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies
– With adoption of the Pedestrian Collision Mitigation Steering function, all eight basic functions(8) of Honda SENSING are now available for all types as standard equipment.
– Honda SENSING supports safer driving, peace of mind and frontal collision avoidance by alerting the driver through the use of millimeter-wave radar and a monocular camera, together with braking/steering control technologies.
– Hybrid types feature Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF). By expanding its range of operation to 0 km/h, the system will reduce the burden on the driver while driving on congested highways.
– All types of Step WGN SPADA and Modulo X qualify for the “Safety Support Car S – Wide” and all other types of Step WGN qualify as “Safety Support Car S – Basic+” promoted by the Japanese government.
(1) i-MMD: Intelligent Multi Mode Drive
(2) There are limitations to the capabilities of each function (detecting capability or controlling capability) of Honda SENSING. Please do not overestimate the capabilities of each function and drive safely while always paying close attention to the surroundings. For more details, please visit Honda SENSING website: http://world.honda.com
(3) A version without Honda SENSING is also available for some types.
(4) Internal research by Honda (as of September 2017), 1.5L-2.0L class, 7/8-seater minivan models with the vehicle height more than 1,800 mm
(5) Tested by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in Japan
(6) WLTC (the Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Cycles) mode is an international driving mode which consists of three different driving modes — city driving, suburban area driving and highway driving – allocated proportionally to average driving time in each mode. Fuel economy was tested by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in Japan.
(7) Step WGN SPADA HYBRID G EX Honda SENSING features performance dampers
(8) Eight basic functions of Honda SENSING are Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS), False Start Prevention, Pedestrian Collision Mitigation Steering System, Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) System, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Lead Car Departure Notification System and Traffic Sign Recognition.