Published on June 22nd, 2018 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Honda Civic TYPE R Test Drive_10 Reasons To Save Up & Buy One
If you are a ‘Type R’ fan or just a Honda fan, then there is very little I can say right here beyond the numerous awards and many online & print reviews that have already been published on this new Civic Type R. Yes, it has had a wave of support from the motoring media wherever it has landed and fast moving sales around the globe confirms everything that has been said.
So, we offer 10 reasons why WE want to save up to buy this Type R before we are to old to truly enjoy it on a daily basis.
- We may dislike the outlandish design, but take note…every line, curve, extension and lip has been added to give this Type R on the limit handling and ‘on the limit handling’ is what we seek in every car we own.
- The front bucket seats are simply the best in the business with their torso hugging ability whilst being able to provide really good rear end comfort for drivers over long drives.
- The slick, light and precise manual gearbox must be commended as it delivers the right balance in weight and ratios to deliver a surprising easy drive even in heavy traffic. Then when the road opens up, the 6 well spaced ratios rallies the turbocharged 2.0L engine to deliver its 310PS in a timely and elegant manner.
- The steering feel reminds that this Type R has been engineered to provide a driver pin point accurate heading. Yes, it is so mechanical in its feel that you will want to find corners to keep your hands active and allow your thumbs to feed into the corners of the steering wheel grip.
- The rear suspension was engineered to send your rear passengers home quickly and without feeling nauseas. Yes, Honda has delivered a front wheel drive hatch with rear handling that never falters unless you try really hard to shake its composure.
- The power delivery of the all new 2.0L turbocharged engine will shame some of the established European competitors. Actually…..it will shame ALL of them. This engine is responsive from a heartbeat and its frenzied momentum across the revolution range on acceleration is more than just impressive. The 400Nm of torque comes in early and never hesitates until your ‘whack’ the revolution limiter.
- Luggage space is more than enough and gets bigger with the rear seatbacks folded. There is space to send family members to the airport and also when you want to take a driving holiday for more than a week…which means…large suitcases will fit in nicely.
- The fit and finish in the cabin reminds us that Honda engineers never like to hear customers complain after years of driving this Type R ‘hard’. Yes, this cabin is so well put together that you we can easily see owners (hopefully me some day) having a squeak and rattle free drive even after the warranty has ended and after over a 100,000 kilometers of badly maintained roads in Klang Valley.
- The 20-inch wheels with slim wide tyres returns a pliant and comfortable ride even on our sub standard tarmac. We tried a stretch of road along the older sections of Petaling Jaya and we did not feel any worse against the stock 1.8L Civic ride and feel. The suspension setting was spot-on and we are quite sure will be somewhat expensive to replace in years to come….but, it will be well worth every Ringgit.
- The fade free and firm brakes from the house of Brembo never left us in any doubt as we abused the Type R around corners, against ‘T’ junctions and when shaving speed in a hurry. They will be expensive to replace some day in the future but this again will be well worth the money.
There are more reasons for me to share why you need to save up and buy this Type R, but if we need to go ‘on and on’ then your quest for simply the best value hot hatch is not on your immediate radar. Yes, there are the immediate competitors like the latest VW Golf R and the best selling Mercedes A45 AMG, but this precision speed machine from Honda is the only one contender with…….
- Manual 6-speed gearbox
- Best value NEW selling price
- Handling to impress
- Braking to impress
- Exhaust note that inspires
- Steering input for corner carving
- Warranty and after sales that will not worry the owner
- Resale values that conquers the rest
Above are further 8 reasons to save up and buy one and our piggy bank is already gaining weight as you read this. Try and test drive one at least before dismissing it from your bucket list.
Honda Civic Type R Turbo Specifications
Engine: 2.0-litre DOHC VTEC Turbo
Power: 310PS @ 6500rpm
Torque: 400Nm @ 2500rpm
Transmission: 6-speed Manual
Top Speed: 272km/h
Selling Price: RM301,900 (GST free price)