Published on October 30th, 2018 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez4
Peugeot Traveller MPV, 7 Seats & 7 Reasons To Buy One
Here comes a brand new MPV that most of you probably never knew was on sale in Malaysia. This is Peugeot’s first MPV for the segment dominated by the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Alphard. Its most obvious rival (being European) is the Mercedes V-Class but Peugeot in Malaysia prefers to look squarely at the all new Kia Carnival and the Hyundai Starex which are both priced to compete.
We had the chance to drive and take stock of this large boxy European MPV over a long weekend and here are 7 solid reasons why you should consider the Peugeot MPV.
- The Traveller is powered by a 2.0-liter, BlueHDI turbo-diesel engine. Power is rated at 150 PS and 370 Nm of torque which means you get good fuel sipping qualities and enough mid-range power when your Traveller is full of passengers and luggage.
- The Traveller uses a 6-speed automatic gearbox that works via a rotary-dial gear selector on the center console which means it frees up a lot of space between the driver and passenger.
- Space from its boxy design allows for heavy ‘premium outlet’ shopping, family cuti-cuti Malaysia holidays and going away with friends on mountain bike trips. This Peugeot Traveller easily adapts to all situations.
- Thanks to its multiple sliding seat configurations and the broad flexibility of use of its interior space, the Peugeot Traveller is also suitable for carrying a lot of knock-down furniture.
- Get inside and you will be greeted with door sill lighting, a sleekly designed, luxury interior trimmed with premium materials with leather seats and thick carpets on the floor. For rear passenger entry on board, this Traveller is equipped as standard with power sliding side doors, and in addition are hands free allowing the driver to take control from a panel located next to the steering wheel.
- Seating that can be moved around. Row 2 has 2 Individual captain seats and Row 3 has a 2/3 – 1/3 split bench with elbow rests. In both situations, the removable and sliding seats can be adapted to any configuration between transporting 7 adults and luggage to just having 2 front seats and loads of luggage space. Folded down, the passenger backrest can be used to transport objects up to 3.50 m long.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty and a service package for worrying free 5-year ownership experience. This means the Peugeot Traveller is truly adapt to its name…..its for travelling without any worries.
Ignite the engine and the diesel engine is sedate with good insulation. Initial pickup is very good when it has just 2 passengers and when fully loaded with all seats in use the 370Nm of torque shows its ability to keep up with traffic and provide ample overtaking power on the highway. The need to climb Genting Highlands is easily done as we tried for ourselves and please remember that you must keep to the speed limit.
The ‘European Handling’ comes along nicely with a firm and supple suspension and very good turning radius which we tried in the tight narrow roads in Petaling Jaya old town area. The cabin has roof top air-conditioning vents which delivers great cooling for all passengers in all rows.
So, lets look at this Traveller as an almost perfect family MPV with its asking price of below RM190k. We say ‘almost’ simply because Malaysians will still compare its brand NEW selling price with warranty and after sales against a used/reconditioned Toyota Alphard with NO warranty and after sales. This we still cannot figure out….yes people paying high prices for a used vehicle with no warranty, after sales and the possibility of no scheduled product recalls when it happens against a brand NEW vehicle costing the same or maybe even lower.