Published on November 11th, 2018 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
If you get caught in a flood like this….what should you do
It is raining every day…especially in the evenings and Klang Valley is getting the worst flash floods in the country. Many drivers are getting caught and we have some advice for those drivers caught unexpectedly in a flash flood.
When caught in a flash flood:
- Once your car doors are open, swim to safety and call 911.
- Do not panic.
- Do not use your energy trying to open the rear doors because water pressure will keep them from budging (wait for the pressure to equalize).
- Do not try to save your personal items inside the car.
- Do not try to break windows to get out. If water pressure has not equalized, glass will explode inward toward you or other occupants.
- Once out, do not stay with your car. Get to high ground.
- Do not stand on the roof of your car. If your car is swept away, you will be carried away with it. You could also fall and injure yourself if the car shifts abruptly.
- Do not return to your car if you think the water level is going down. Water levels could rise without warning. Allow emergency personnel to tow your vehicle to a safe place.
Best of all, try and avoid going out in the rain unless you know the route and it is safe from floods.