Published on July 12th, 2019 | by Subhash Nair0
8th Generation Porsche 911 Launched in Malaysia
The 8th generation Porsche 911 has been launched in Malaysia. Sime Darby Auto Performance, the authorised importer of Porsche in Malaysia, revealed the car at the Sepang International Circuit a day before the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia kicks off at the track.
Two variants of the new ‘992’ generation 911 is being made available here: the new 911 Carrera S and the 911 Carrera 4S.
The two cars are largely similar, so let’s quickly cover how they differ.
- the Carrera 4S has an all-wheel-drive system (vs rear-wheel drive on the Carrera S)
- The Carrera 4S is 0.1 seconds faster from 0-100km/h than the Carrera S
- The Carrera 4S consumes 0.1L more petrol per 100km than the Carrera S
- The Carrera 4S has a top speed that’s higher by 2km/h than the Carrera S
- The Carrera 4S has chrome louvres over the engine cover (vs black on the Carrera S)
- The model badges are of course different
- The Carrera 4S has an RM70,000 (6%) higher starting price than the Carrera S
Here are the key exterior highlights on the new 911:
- ALL 8th generation Porsche 911 variants come with wide rear wheel arches as standard
- Body panels are now made of aluminium
- The hood features a recess as it did on classic 911 models
- New LED headlights with 4 point DRL
- A full-length light bar goes across the rear of the new 911
- Pop-up door handles
- Variable position spoiler
- Central third brake light
- Overall lower and wider than before
- 20″ front wheels, 21″ rear wheels
And here’s what you should look out for on the interior
- The instrument cluster has an analogue tachometer and 2 digital displays
- The dashboard mimics the flat, horizontal layout of the classic 911
- A 10.9″ touchscreen with PCM, 5 physical buttons for direct access to drive and chassis functions
Under the Hood
New generation flat six turbocharged petrol engines are present here. They generate 450hp at 6500rpm and 530Nm of torque 2300-5000rpm in these S models. This is up 30hp and 30Nm over their direct predecessor.
The engine has an improved injection process, a new turbocharger layout and charged air cooling system.
Paired to this is a new 8-speed PDK transmission with a more optimised overdrive gear.
Performance figures are as follows:
0-100km/h: in 3.7 s (Carrera S), 3.8 s (Carrera 4S).
Top speed: 308km/h Carrera S, 306km/h Carrera 4S
Fuel consumption: 8.9L/100km and 9.0L/100km in Carrera 4S.
Driver Assistance Systems
The new 911 gets Adaptive Cruise Control (includes automatic distance control, stop-and-go function, reversible occupant protection and autonomous Emergency Assist Function). It also comes with a new Night Vision Assist with a thermal imaging camera as well.
This is standard on all 8th generation Porsche 911 models. The new cars can detect water on the road surface send a warning to the driver, and prompt the driver to switch modes by the push of a button or by switching modes on the steering wheel for cars equipped with the Sport Chrono package.
In Wet Mode, the ABS, traction and stability programmes are more easily triggered. It also adjusts the responsiveness of the drivetrain and increases torque distribution on all wheels (on the Carrera 4S). The rear differential is more easily locked for better driving stability. Air flaps and the variable spoiler is opened for better traction. This video better demonstrates what happens in Wet Mode.
The Porsche 911 Carrera S starts at RM1,150,000 and the 911 Carrera 4S starts at RM1,220,000.