Published on January 15th, 2020 | by Subhash Nair0
Mazda CX-30 Launched in Malaysia, CBU Japan From RM143,059
Bermaz has just launched the Mazda CX-30, an-all new nameplate for the company.
The CX-30 is a crossover with premium aspirations. It sits in between the CX-3 (a B-segment crossover) and the CX-5 (a C-segment crossover). The way the CX-30 is equipped and constructed shows it was probably closely co-developed with the current Mazda 3.
Three variants are being offered, all fully-imported from Japan. Here are their prices:
- CX-30 2.0L – RM143,059
- CX-30 2.0L High – RM164,059
- CX-30 1.8L (diesel) High – RM172,943.60
Here are the colours being brought in:
- Soul Red Crystal
- Machine Gray
- Snowflake White Pearl
- Deep Crystal Blue
- Sonic Silver
- Polymetal Gray
- Titanium Flash
- Jet Black
The CX-30 comes with a 5-year manufacturer warranty and 5-years of free maintenance.
In terms of safety, all variants get the following:
- 7 SRS Airbags (Front Driver & Passenger, Driver Knee, Side and Curtain)
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Emergency Stop Signal (ESS), and Hill Launch Assist (HLA)
- 1,310 MPa-class steel is used in places and steel rated 980 MPa or higher now accounts for approximately 30 percent of the body
Variants with i-Activesense come with following:
- Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
- Adaptive Front-Lighting System (AFS)
- High Beam Control (HBC)
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
- Lane-Keep Assist System (LAS)
- Front & Rear Smart Brake Support (SBS)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC).
Here’s the press release with more information.
Since its introduction in 2010, Mazda’s Kodo – Soul of Motion design has been a driving force in enhancing the brand’s global value, and Mazda has now made this philosophy deeper and more sophisticated to raise car design to the level of fine art. The goal for this evolution of Kodo design is to express a new form of elegance inspired by and rooted in Japanese aesthetics.
As the second model in Mazda’s new-generation product line-up to feature the further-matured Kodo – Soul of Motion design concept, the CX-30 was developed in pursuit of automotive styling as a work of art. To achieve the most alluring, sleek, silhouette in this market segment, the designers and engineers worked together as a single team to realize an unprecedented vehicle that uncompromisingly satisfies the generally contradictory demands for roominess, ample cargo space, and truly beautiful proportions.
Based on the ‘Sleek and Bold’ design concept, the CX-30 proportions combine the toughness of an SUV with a supple, flowing beauty that transcends the category and the body surfaces provide rich, unlimited impressions that change from moment to moment.
‘Sleek & Bold’ Design Concept on the Mazda CX-30
The Mazda CX-30 body design is based on the concept of “Charge and Release” – design language taken from the brushwork used in Japanese calligraphy. This concept has its roots in the three key elements of the evolved Kodo – Soul of Motion design philosophy, namely, Yohaku, the beauty of empty space, Soru, curves with poise and balance, and Utsuroi, the interplay of light and shadow. The overall design portrays the releasing and diffusing of energy built-up from the nose and the front fenders though to the rear tires in a single motion to convey a sense of strong forward motion.
“Charge & Release” Body Design Styling on the Mazda CX-30
Other exterior refinements include:
- The lower body features arresting black cladding to create the sleekly flowing proportions of a coupe. At the same time, the cladding provides an impression of stability and power worthy of an SUV.
- Rear fenders stand proud from the inward-tapering rear cabin and the liftgate has a correspondingly narrowed arch shape. In combination, this creates an alluring and sensuously powerful rear end with a wide, dynamic stance like a sports car.
- Front styling conveys a refined, yet bold personality. Mazda’s signature wing takes on a sharper and deeper form that combines with the solid, sculpted contours of the front bumpers to achieve a face strongly suggestive of forward motion. The size and pattern of the radiator grille’s triangular motif are tightly controlled to show rich variations according to the viewing angle and how light falls upon it.
- Headlamps and rear combination lamps are both elegantly sleek and supremely functional, featuring an LED arrangement that emphasizes the lamps’ elaborate cylindrical shape to point up their artistic beauty while delivering a distinctive mechanical impression. The LED turn signals have a new, distinctive light-up pattern that starts at full power then gradually ramps down, giving a powerful impression of a pulsating, living creature.
Inside, Mazda rigorously pursued the highest quality so that customers can spend time with their loved ones in comfort. The highly refined cabin is marked by the fusion of a comfortably snug feel and an airy, spacious atmosphere, enabling all occupants to enjoy a feeling of connection as well as relaxing comfort. The quiet cabin makes conversation a joy and the clarity and quality of the new audio system, with its optimized speaker layout, are reminiscent of a sound studio.
In addition, the cabin interior was designed to advance the Jinba-Ittai philosophy that is at the heart of every Mazda car and deliver every occupant a heightened sense of oneness with the CX-30. It is a pleasing environment, with a symmetrical cockpit layout firmly centered on the driver and a large dashboard hood on the passenger seat side that gently wraps the occupant in comfort. In addition, a rich variety of colour coordination choices and level of finish that shows dedication to craftmanship accentuates the quality feel of the interior. Every aspect of the interior design enhances the CX-30’s impressive personality, stimulating customers’ sensibilities each and every time they look at or touch the car.
Other interior refinement includes:
- The cockpit is symmetrical and firmly centered on the driver, with all three meters in the meter cluster and the center display correctly angled towards the driving position, giving the driver an enhanced sense of unity with the vehicle and an even easier operation.
- A secondary, wing shaped hood is fitted to the upper area of the dashboard. Running horizontally from the top of the meter hood to the end of the door trim on the passenger side, it generates an airy atmosphere that give the cockpit an expansive feel, as well as adding to the front passenger’s feeling of relaxation, comfort and security. Stitching on the edge of the hood is one more expression of the CX-30’s refined interior quality.
- The wide floor console groups the shift lever, cup holders and commander control forward in a ‘control area’ close to the driver for convenient operation, while the gently curved knee rest behind create a warm, contrasting atmosphere
- The shift panel has an evolved version of Mazda’s ‘two-layer molding’ technology originally developed for the new Mazda3. Light striking the deep smoke-gray panel reveals a metallic pattern engraved in the base later to accentuate CX-30’s atmosphere of fine detailing and advanced character.
INNOVATIVE PACKAGING, DELIVERS RICHER, MORE ENJOYABLE LIFE EXPERIENCES
Based on human-centered philosophy, Mazda aimed to endow the CX-30 with enhanced versatility as a compact crossover SUV. The packaging achieves a cabin that accommodates all passengers in relaxed comfort even on the longest drives, while the luggage space offers enhanced practicality and generous capacity to satisfy virtually all lifestyle requirements. The driver’s environment is further evolved though the adoption of the most advanced knowledge and technologies during research and development of the driving position and Human-Machine Interface (HMI). In short, every element of the packaging is designed and engineered to support an even wider range of lifestyles and provide CX-30 customers with a rich and rewarding experience.
- A generous luggage compartment with a large opening is easy to use in any situation.
- Luggage capacity is a generous 430 litres*, enough to simultaneously accommodate a large, global-standard baby carriage and a carry-on bag. The liftgate opening is 1,020mm wide, while the height of the flip is a relatively low 731mm, making it easier to load and unload heavy or bulky cargo.
*Includes sub-trunk; measure in-house by Mazda.
ENTRY AND EXIT
- The model features plenty of ground clearance and a hip-point height that makes it easy to get into and out of the car.
- The shape of the seat cushions and B-Pillars were optimized in light of how people move during entry and exit to enable even heavily built rear passengers to get in and out in a smooth fashion.
- Telescopic steering offers 70mm or travel for precise control over the driving position. In addition, front seat cushion tilt adjustment is included as standard equipment to help prevent the occupant’s thighs floating above the cushion (seat angle too low) or placing undue pressure on the thighs (seat angle too high). As such, it offers firm support that keeps the pelvis in an upright position to maintain the ideal posture Mazda aims for.
- The position of the gear shift lever, commander control and cupholders on the floor console is optimized for operating stability, ease and comfort.
HUMAN-MACHINE INTERFACE (HMI)
- The Active Driving Display, meters and center display were all redesigned to present information in a simple fashion, while the fonts used were unified to create a pleasing and consistent look.
- CX-30 adopts an 8.8-inch wide-screen center display. Offering simplified operation that requires only the use of the commander control, it also features a new intuitive guidance system that makes the commander control easier to operate.
VISIBILITY AND FIELD OF VIEW
- The driver’s seating position is set high to provide a clear field of view and let the driver focus on the road ahead.
- Thickness and shape of the A-Pillar were optimized to minimize its obstruction angle and associated blind spots. Every detail of the pillar shape was carefully thought out after research into what degree of neck and eye movement would not burden the driver. As a result, the design significantly reduces blind spots ahead of the car, providing the driver with a continuous view of pedestrians or potential obstacles to the right or left while maintaining a natural driving posture
- The C-Pillar is small, providing good rearward visibility through the quarter window, offering easy confirmation of other vehicles or objects to the rear when changing lanes or entering a parking lot.
- The control system for windshield wiper operating speed was carefully engineered to both improve overall wiper performance and constantly adjust the operating angle of the wipers in fine increments, allowing cleaning right up to the A-pillar to greatly expand visibility near the A-pillar on the driver’s side. The wipers are housed beneath the hood to help provide a clear downward view out of the windshield. In addition, the washer nozzles are attached to the wiper arms so their spray can be wiped away immediately after application and not interfere with visibility. These measures combine to give the driver a clearer view and to quickly maintain clear visibility in wet weather.
- Mazda carried out comprehensive new studies into how sounds are transmitted through a car’s cabin. This led to relocating the bass speakers in the corners where low frequency sound is better reproduced, resulting in a more clearly audible lower register. Midrange and high-frequency speakers were positioned on the left and right sail garnish and upper sections of the door trim where the sound is transmitted directly towards the occupant’s ears, unmuddied by reflected sounds. This more powerfully and naturally located the sound’s origin, enhancing both depth and clarity.
- The standard audio system features a 3-way, 8-speaker configuration with 3L woofers mounted at the sides of the cowl, 2.5cm tweeters on the left and right sail garnishes and 8cm squawkers on the upper section of the front and rear door trim.
EFFORTLESS JOYFUL DRIVING
‘Ultimate Jinba-Ittai’ – the feeling that the vehicle is an extension of the driver’s body, precisely controlled without conscious thought – is Mazda’s goal. And to achieve it, Mazda has introduced Skyactiv-Vehicle Architecture, a set of new-generation structural technologies. Adoption of these technologies, the latest fruits of Mazda’s further evolved human-centric development concept, allows CX-30 to open up a fresh dimension of driving pleasure.
- The latest Skyactiv-G 2.0 gasoline engine delivers enhanced driving performance, fuel efficiency and eco-friendliness.
- The Skyactiv-D 1.8 diesel engine provides smooth yet robust performance combined with a fine balance of fuel economy, quietness and low emissions.
NEW-GENERATION STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES: SKYACTIV-VEHICLE ARCHITECTURE
- The seats adopt a basic structure designed to maintain the natural S-shaped curve of the spine. The seat cushion and lower seatback support the thighs, lower pelvis and upper pelvis to keep the pelvis in an upright position. Meanwhile, the upper seatback supports the rib cage’s center of gravity. This design enables the driver to stabilize his or her head in a natural fashion by shifting the pelvis and spine to maintain balance without any conscious effort.
- The body further evolves Mazda’s straight framework and continuous ring structure concept. New front-to-back connections complement the existing vertical and lateral connections of the previous body to form multi-directional ring structures. This increases rigidity while reducing lag in the transmission of energy, which helps maximize the function of the dampers and tires. By concentrating energy input from the road surface in specifically chosen locations and adopting a damping structure that helps absorb it, vibration that causes noise is reduced without increasing vehicle weight.
- The suspension system (MacPherson struts at the front and a torsion beam setup at the rear) is based on the concept of smoothing the transmission of forces to the sprung mass over time. A new spherical shape adopted for the internal structure of the bushings combines with new suspension geometry to realize lag-free transmission and linear action.
EXECELLENT NVH PERFORMANCE:
- As a result of Mazda’s human research studies, development focused on three characteristics of sound that directly impact cabin occupants. These are volume, changes in pitch and tone over time, and the direction from which sounds originate. Suppressing noise generation and reducing its volume, while also controlling the fluctuations and directionality of sounds, are all aimed at going beyond a ‘quiet’ cabin environment to instead create a ‘high-quality quietness’ that is satisfying to all cabin occupants.
- To improve the basic insulation qualities key to reducing NVH, CX-30 adopts a “two-wall” structure with space between the body and the carpeting. Considering the carpet and the body panel as two separate walls, and then designing them to match the characteristics of the carpet fibers improves sound insulation without increasing weight. The number of holes in the carpeting was reduced wherever possible to significantly enhance sound insulation.
- Measures to deal with road noise focused on minimizing noise and vibration, and on controlling noise generated by changes in the road surface so it reaches occupants’ ears in a linear fashion. Sound-absorption added to the headliner and floor mats effectively suppresses high-frequency noise, while tires with optimized vertical yield and increased rigidity at possible entry points help prevent the transmission of unwanted vibrations to the cabin. Lag-free transmission of permissible sounds and vibrations helps create a reassuring and comfortable cabin environment.