Published on January 3rd, 2021 | by Subhash Nair0
Pothole Near Mid Valley Claims Life Of 75 Year Old
Just last week, we saw what happened when Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation ran over a pothole. While we’re sure the ordeal was not a pleasant one for Khairy Jamaluddin, he himself said he was fine.
Today things have taken a grim turn as The Vibes reported that a 75 year old motorcyclist passed away after hitting a pothole.
The incident happened early this morning near Mid Valley Megamall, Kuala Lumpur. The motorcyclist, identified as Ho Yan Yee, ran over a pothole on Jalan Tengah, lost control of his motorbike and fell to the ground. He died at the scene.
While there is legal precedent for Malaysian citizens to receive compensation from the government and JKR for pothole neglect, how the estate of this victim will be compensated for the loss of life is another matter.
No response to the incident has been posted by JKR’s social media accounts as of yet. Last week, the Kuala Langat JKR twitter account responded to KJ’s tweet within hours of the complaint. Works Minister Fadillah Yusof also hasn’t yet responded to this latest pothole incident.
Just a few days ago, JKR pledged to repair potholes within 24 hours of receiving a complaint. This was a renewal of their “Aku Janji Zero Potholes” campaign.
Here are some quotes from the Chief of the KL Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department, Zulkefly Yahya:
“We were notified of the accident at 7.30am today that occurred after the motorcyclist lost control of his bike in Jalan Tengah, heading towards Mid Valley. Preliminary investigations showed that the motorcyclist was riding over a pothole, leading to the victim falling to the ground.”
Just a reminder, one of the most convenience ways to report potholes is through Waze, but this only works in Selangor as of now.
HOW TO REPORT POTHOLES VIA WAZE
- When you see a pothole, have your passenger tap and hold down on the Reports icon.
- Holding down the Reports icon will offer three report types.
- While still holding down on the Reports icon, move your thumb to select Hazard.
- On the Hazard Menu, select hazard On road.
- Then select Pothole.
- Tap Send to share the report.
- Wait for the Selangor State Local Authority to patch the pothole within 5 days.
- Enjoy a smoother drive once the pothole is patched
Other ways to report potholes:
- http://aduan.jkr.gov.my/ or https://pcb.spab.gov.my/eApps/system/index.do?aplCode=en or https://kkr.spab.gov.my/eApps/system/index.do or https://www.malaysia.gov.my/portal/content/30044
- Call 03-2610-8888 or 03-2618-9000
- Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
- Visit or write to: Menara Kerja Raya (Blok G), Ibu Pejabat JKR, Jalan Sultan Salahuddin, 50480 Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur)
- Via the Respons Rakyat app on iOS or Android