Published on March 17th, 2021 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Honda City 1.5 i-VTEC Test Drive Review
Getting to know this i-VTEC powered sedan over a weekend.
Honda Malaysia knows that this is a tough segment to compete in and this is why their NEW City is packed with safety and cabin comfort features that stands tall above the competition and here below we present 9 reasons why you should at least take it for a test drive to feel how a well built and well equipped sedan can be priced below RM88,000 with insurance and road tax ready for some on the road excitement.
1. This NEW City carries a very European-flavored body styling, with a clean front end and swept-back headlights.
2. There are slim LED rear taillights, and the addition of daytime running lights makes the front-end to have a premium look.
3. At 4533mm long, 1748mm wide and 1435mm high the City’s relatively sensible dimensions provide plenty of space for upfront passengers and the seats in the back serve up ample room for 3 adult passengers. Actually, this 5th Generation City is now longer by 111mm, wider by 54mm and lowered by 10mm compared to the 4th Generation City. So, it is a more spacious sedan.
4. Up front, there are two cup-holders, along with room in the doors for water bottles. The central storage area is home to two power points and a USB source. Plus, there are rear air-conditioning ventilation.
5. The luggage capacity is a very decent 519 litres so holiday trips around Malaysia will be easy with all the necessary luggage and more.
6. Cabin comfort features include START/STOP ignition with remote engine start for this ‘V’ variant.
7. For entertainment you get an 8-inch Display Audio that is Apple Car Play & Android Auto ready. It delivers very decent sound quality.
8. This ‘V’ spec City arrives with six airbags (dual front, front-side and curtain) and the normal suite of traction and braking aids like ABS, EBD and VSA. You will also find parking sensors front and rear, fog lights front and rear and Honda LaneWatch camera with Honda Sensing suite of safety features.
9. Fuel consumption per 100km – average of 7.2 Litres….in ECO mode driving.
This is an urban-friendly sedan that definitely looks better than your average run-of-the-mill rival. Plus, you get a 5-years unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty. Peace of mind ownership for 60 months.
Driving Around The City
Step inside this well proportioned sedan and you will find well designed seats for tall and wide drivers. Yes, Honda has provided wide front seats with large headrests (a feature forgotten by many car manufacturers) and you will find a good driving position. Rear legroom is good and three average adults will not complain in the back. Plus, there is an A/C vent for rear passengers. A great feature during our hot and humid season.
Ignite the engine, and there is just a slight murmur whispering into the well insulated cabin. Accelerate hard and the 1.5L engine is responsive and works fast with the gearbox. Steering feel is firm and not too light and the turning radius is very good for new urban neighborhoods with narrow roads and corners. The 121PS might sound low when you read it, but we had our family (3 adults and 2 teens) in this City and we never felt sluggish on the road and even on the highway we managed 110km/h (and a bit more actually) easily.
Climate control was great and the rotary knobs together with the overall feel of the cabin feels a notch closer to an upmarket sedan. We liked the simple, yet effective to the eye meter cluster and the entertainment unit was easy to use.
We hope that after reading the above you might be tickled enough to visit a Honda showroom and take a test drive. Best if you visit its rival showrooms on the same day to get a better understanding and feel of what its rivals offer and you can decide what is best for your needs.
On a test drive, please understand this. Do not be dazzled by features that will distract you and your passengers. A car is for safe, comfortable, enjoyable transportation. It is NOT a toy. It is NOT a smartphone (as you already have one in your pocket) and it should never be a machine to travel insanely fast.
Honda City 1.5L i-VTEC ‘V’ Model Specifications
Engine: 4-cylinder DOHC i-VTEC
Transmission: Continuous Variable Transmission
Max Power: 121PS @ 6600rpm
Max Torque: 145Nm @ 4300rpm
0-100km/h: 10.2 seconds
Top Speed: 196km/h