Published on November 10th, 2021 | by Subhash Nair0
2022 Mitsubishi XPANDER Facelift Shown At Gaikindo Auto Show
The popular Mitsubishi XPANDER gets its first facelift in Indonesia. Here are the details.
The Mitsubishi XPANDER may have only landed in Malaysia in late 2020, but it’s worth noting that this vehicle has been on sale elsewhere since 2017 and has sold at a strong pace, with 372,000 units sold in its first few years on sale. As such, it is due a facelift, and that is indeed what has happened.
The facelifted XPANDER is being exhibited at the 28th GAIKINDO Indonesia International Auto Show. It will go on sale in Indonesia first before being offered in other markets. The XPANDER is built at the Krama Yudha Indonesia plant.
Here are some of the main changes:
- Mechanical improvements
- A new high-efficiency Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with reduced fuel consumption and enhanced gear ‘shift’ feel on heavy acceleration
- Updated engine with an external EGR for low fuel consumption
- An electric parking brake
- New brake auto hold function
- Improved suspension with better front strut mounting rigidity, expanded rear shock absorber cylinder size and use of high performance valves
- Redesigned interior
- redesigned steering wheel
- increased use of soft pads with synthetic leather
- real stitching on door cards and armrest
- air conditioning panel with a liquid crystal display
- high contrast meter display with new graphic design
- Center console is redesigned with a large-capacity open tray
- Armrest that can store 4 600 milliliter plastic bottles
- Type-A and Type-C USB charging outlets on back of the center console
- Redesigned exterior
- Evovled Dynamic Shield face
- New bumper with three dimensional skid plate shape
- increased front overhang by 75mm
- new headlight unit shape
- LED headlights for higher variants
- new rear light shape
- LED brake lights and rear lights
- new styling for rear bumper
- increased rear overhang by 45mm
- 17″ wheels with two-tone design
- increased vehicle height by 15-20mm, ground clearance now at 220-225mm
- New Blade Silver Metallic body colour
“Developed in pursuit of customer needs, the Xpander series has gained popularity in the ASEAN and other regions around the globe, and has grown to become one of the most important models for Mitsubishi Motors,” said Takao Kato, president and chief executive officer, MMC.
“When designing the new Xpander, we reviewed even the smallest details and evolved it into an even more active and tough model, so we hope that the new Xpander will help expand and enrich the driving experience of many customers.
Through this model, we will also further grow our presence in Indonesia and strengthen local production, thereby contributing to the growth of Indonesian economy.”