Published on February 21st, 2015 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Mazda CX-3 SUV On Its Way To Rival The Honda HR-V
Incorporating Mazda’s latest design and technology, the Mazda CX-3 is a car to suit the customer’s creative lifestyle in any scene, from city driving to enjoying the great outdoors. The new model will go on sale in the later part of 2015 in Malaysia.
Pursuing sophisticated beauty with the latest iteration of KODO
The Mazda CX-3’s design pursues beauty and sophistication while expressing Mazda’s KODO design language in the most stylish fashion, so far. It’s powerful and highly vital form creates a pure expression of the car Mazda’s designers themselves wanted, one that is not fettered by conventional classifications of vehicle type. The design team worked to create a straight expression of beauty and radical styling for the exterior of the 4.27-metre long vehicle. Achieving this involved an uncompromising approach to refining the proportions that form the foundation of its beauty and painstaking efforts to eliminate every unnecessary element. For the interior, a concerted effort was made to achieve the appropriate expression of ambience. Together with the fine textures of the materials used, the team realised a high-quality, sophisticated cabin environment.
- The front of the Mazda CX-3 is designed to present a bold look that suits the model’s stylish proportions. The front grille stacks seven fins with silver-painted front edges to create an expression of concentrated energy that flows horizontally. The signature wing is stout and three-dimensional, as if machined from solid metal. It forms the starting point for a powerful sense of speed that flows across the entire body.
- The headlamp layout positions the turn signals outside the main headlamp unit to create a narrow, sharp design suggesting eyes gazing forward. The tips of the signature wing extend into the headlamps with an integrated LED illumination line. This connects seamlessly with the lighting signature that surrounds the low beams, accentuating the model’s taut expression.
- With the peak of the front fenders pushed rearward to lie beneath the base of the A-pillars, the side view of CX-3 conveys a sense of extended body size, far greater than the vehicle’s actual dimensions. Careful attention was devoted to creating a rich expression and subtle changes across the body surfaces of three sections: the front half of the body features a long nose with a flowing shape; the cabin section presents a sleek look achieved, in part, by blacking out the D-pillars; and the solid mass at the rear of the body conveys a look of strength and power.
- The license plate is located in the upper part of the rear bumper to achieve a short overhang design that gives the rear a clean look and powerful sense of solidity.
- The CX-3 introduces a newly developed Ceramic Metallic body colour. Its expression of a finely honed metallic surface and strong sense of hardness changes in appearance depending on the light hitting its surface.
- The CX-3 adopts large diameter tyres that create an appealing sense of a powerful drive and positive stance. Optional 18-inch alloy wheels feature thick, sculpted spokes painted gunmetal grey and contrasted by the brilliant sheen of machined metal.
- The interior gives a high-quality and sophisticated feel that is fully coordinated with the exterior design. Keen attention was paid to every detail, including the cohesiveness of the spatial designs and the quality of materials used.
- The door trim’s surrounding character line and relatively high beltline along with the deeply sculpted three-dimensional form create a comforting sense of snugness and openness for the front seat space.
- All information displays and control systems are positioned in accordance with a driver-oriented design based on Mazda’s heads-up cockpit concept.
- The soft material that covers the instrument cluster hood features a stitch-like finish on its front edge, producing an atmosphere of maturity.
- Each individual part has been refined to provide the interior with a polished, high-quality feel. Examples include the dark red accent colour used on the door trim armrests and floor console kneepads, and the crisp form of the inner door handle bezels which look as if they were sculpted from solid metal.
- Fine piping carefully added where the different coordinated seat materials meet, such as the pure white leather and off-black Lux Suede® offering, produces a sophisticated environment.