Published on April 4th, 2015 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Infiniti Q50 Confirmed For 2015 Season Opener
Infiniti Support Our Paras Racing completed their first full test programme at Mallory Park (Wednesday), but a late technical problem means the outfit will only run one car at Brands Hatch this weekend. The team, run by Pro Motorsport, consists of injured ex-servicemen and is backed with the works support of Infiniti. The Infiniti Q50 car completed its first laps at the Leicestershire track today, with Derek Palmer Jnr at the wheel.
Although the team were present at the official series media day at Donington Park last week they did not complete any running at the time as neither car was fully complete. Now, a late technical problem has resulted in the team being unable to run two cars in their début event.
“We experienced a late technical problem today which, after detailed analysis, has unfortunately resulted in the second car now not being in a position to race at Brands Hatch,” explained Team Principal Derek Palmer Snr.
“Of course it’s disappointing, but this is exactly what test sessions such as today’s are intended to discover before we head into a race weekend. We can now take the necessary steps to ensure the same problem doesn’t materialise in the other car.”
Despite the setback, Palmer Snr said that the team met all of their objectives at the first test, running first for a series of installation laps and then at race pace.
“We completed everything we set ourselves for this first running,” said Palmer Snr said. “The guys did a fantastic job preparing the car, and it was an emotional moment seeing it take to the track for the first time.
“Everyone in the team has worked tirelessly to get to where we are. We know we’re a work-in-progress, but we know we have the team to deliver.”
Derek Palmer Jnr drove the car for the first time in clear conditions, and admits that he and the team are happy with their pre-season preparations.
“I’ve dreamed about this day for so long,” said the 28-year-old Scot. “Today is the culmination of six months hard work for the team.
“We set ourselves a specific programme today, and we worked through the process and ticked off all the boxes, so we’re happy with where we are as we head towards the first race at Brands Hatch.”
It has not been decided whether Palmer Jnr or Richard Hawken will drive the team’s sole Q50 this weekend.