Published on July 23rd, 2019 | by Subhash Nair0
2nd Gen Nissan LEAF Launched in Malaysia. Buy or Subscribe
The all-new, 2nd-generation Nissan LEAF has been launched in Malaysia. This 100% electric 5-door hatchback comes fully imported from Japan in a single, high-spec premium grade.
This fully-imported from Japan Nissan Leaf will sell for RM188,888 (for Peninsular Malaysia, on-the-road price with 10% sales tax, without insurance and valid for private individual registration), with a three years/60,000km maintenance service, three years/100,000km vehicle warranty and eight years/160,000 lithium-ion battery warranty.
Also, there’s a “subscription programme” for owners – a three-year-contract with a RM3,500-a-month instalment (Peninsular Malaysia only, without insurance and valid for private individual registration).
Since the introduction of the Nissan LEAF, it has become the company’s icon for Intelligent Mobility and the number 1 selling electric vehicle in the world. More than 400,000 units have been sold since 2010.
The Nissan LEAF comes with a 150PS, 320Nm electric motor that’s capable of moving to 100km/h from a standstill in just 7.9 seconds. Its top speed is electronically limited to 155km/h. The battery pack is placed low in the chassis for better handling and stability, so you can make real use of the car’s performance.
It comes with a new 40kWh lithium-ion battery which gives the leaf 311km on a full charge based on the NEDC test cycle. Given that most Malaysians drive much fewer than 200km a day, the range of the LEAF is more than adequate.
Nissan’s LEAF batteries have delivered over ten billion electric kilometres without a single recall since 2010. They’re all tested against things like floods and lightning, so charging it in the rain presents no danger.
It comes with a standard 6.6kW (Type1) Wall Box Charger that takes about 7 hours to fully charge the car. Free use of these types of chargers is available at 17 ETCM locations nationwide, and more will roll out soon.
With a 50kW CHAdeMO quick charger, the LEAF is fully charged in an hour. These types of chargers can be found and used for free at a few locations in Malaysia:
- ABB Malaysia Sdn Bhd Subang Jaya
- Nichicon Sdn Bhd Bandar Baru Bangi
- PLUS Ayer Keroh R&R Malacca (southbound)
What’s interesting is that if you’re planning a long-distance trip and are worried about range, you can request either an X-Trail, Navara or Serena S-Hybrid. These cars will be available to LEAF owners 23 days per year, just enough to cover vacations and public holidays.
Here are some features you can look forward to on the Malaysian spec Nissan LEAF:
- e-Pedal (allows you to accelerate and brake with just the accelerator pedal)
- New diamond inspired holographic grille
- Boomerang LED Daytime Running Lights
- Two-tone floating roof
- 17” diamond cut ‘Turbine’ Alloy Wheels
- Flat-bottom Leather Steering with control switches
- 7” multi-info display meter
- Leather Alcantara appointed seats
- 435 litres of cargo space (expandable to 1176 litres)
- Climate Control Timer
- Intelligent Forward Collision Warning
- Intelligent Forward Emergency Braking
- Intelligent Around View Monitor with Moving Object Detection
- Intelligent Driver Alertness
- Intelligent Ride Control
- Intelligent Trace Control
- Hill Start Assist
- Vehicle Dynamic Control
- ABS with BA
- 6 airbags
- 5-Star JNCAP
- Pearl White Body, Deep Blue Pearl Roof
- Magnetic Red body, Super Black Roof
- Brilliant Silver
- Super Black
- Gun Metal Grey
- Deep Blue Pearl
- Graphite Black
- Stone Grey
Warranty and maintenance
- 3 years/60,000km maintenance service included
- 3 years/100,000km warranty
- 8 years/160,000km battery warranty