Published on July 13th, 2019 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
VW Passat to get Hello Mercedes! cabin connectivity
Already a popular sedan for the VW Group globally, the 30 millionth Passat will leave the assembly line this spring. This landmark makes it the most successful mid-size model worldwide. And that’s not all. After the Golf (35 million vehicles) and ahead of the legendary Beetle (21.5 million units) – the Volkswagen Passat is one of the three most popular vehicles from Volkswagen to date. One thing is certain: the 30 millionth Passat will be one of the first examples of the significantly enhanced eighth generation. A major technical update sees the new Passat incorporate the latest brand innovations. This Passat has just been given a technology facelift to compete head to head with its Europeans rivals.
Volkswagen will be equipping this all new 2020 Passat sedan with five new cabin components that combine to form the current level of connected mobility: a new generation of Infotainment, an online connectivity unit (OCU) with integrated eSIM, “Volkswagen We” as an online ecosystem, the “Digital Cockpit” and a head-up display.
Online Infotainment. The new Passat boasts a standard “Composition” radio system (including 6.5-inch display) as well as the optional “Discover Media” (8.0-inch) and “Discover Pro” (9.2-inch) navigation systems. They are coupled with an online connectivity unit, which is always online (on request) – even without a connected smartphone – thanks to eSIM. New functions and an extensively redesigned menu navigation have been introduced in the “Discover Media” and “Discover Pro” navigations systems. They belong to the third generation of the modular infotainment matrix (MIB3). The superior “Discover Pro” navigation system is now also equipped with “App Connect Wireless”. This means that “Apple CarPlay™” can be used to integrate many iPhone apps wirelessly.
An overview of the “We Connect” and “We Connect Plus” functions.
“We Connect” (free of charge) and “We Connect Plus” (free of charge for a year) are part of the Passat package as standard.
A few examples of “We Connect” functions:
- Status information about doors that may be open or lights turned on, the current parking position and “Automatic Accident Notification”
- In connection with “Discover Pro”, compatible Samsung smartphones can serve as vehicle keys.
- It is also possible to download “In-Car apps” such as “We Park” (cash-free parking) and “We Experience” (special offers from restaurants, shops or filling stations) via the Infotainment system.
“We Connect Plus” contains additional functions (depending on equipment) such as
- an online anti-theft alarm and online auxiliary heater – controlled by smartphone with the “We Connect” app.
- The Plus range also includes Online Route Calculation, Online Map Update and, of course, Online Voice Control.
- In addition, the internet radio and Apple Music and TIDAL streaming services can be used with an optionally bookable data volume.
- With “We Connect Plus”, “We Deliver” can also be booked in order to make the Passat the recipient of deliveries and services.
The In-Car apps (“WE Park”, “We Experience” and “We deliver”) are being launched to market with the Passat in certain regions in Germany with selected partners.