Published on September 30th, 2019 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Honda New Prachinburi Plant, Highly-Efficient
This is the pride and joy of Honda in ASIA.
WE visited a brand new USD485 million environmentally friendly car factory in Thailand and this is where Honda builds its range of vehicle for the ASEAN region. This factory is one of two factories Honda has in Thailand and it may be situated in a remote part of Thailand but it has all its supporting industries and vendors all around it.
Location In Thailand
This Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co., Ltd. (HATC) factory is located in the Rojana Industrial Park in Prachinburi province. This all-new plant comes equipped with Honda’s highly-efficient and environmentally-responsible production technologies, will serve to enhance Honda’s capability to deliver quality products for customers in Thailand and worldwide.
Its Production Role
The plant also will help strengthen the company’s role as one of Honda’s important automobile production hubs.
With the concept of “delivering quality products with the optimal balance of human craftsmanship and advanced production technologies”, the Prachinburi plant has adopted Honda’s newest production technologies.
This includes the world’s first* cell production-style ARC (Assembly Revolution Cell) Line, incorporating flowing cell production-style production units in the main line. The plant also inherited advanced and eco-responsible technologies introduced at Honda’s Yorii Plant, Honda’s most advanced auto plant in Japan.
The Prachinburi plant started mass production with the all-new Honda Civic in March 2016, following the production start for plastic parts, and engine and engine parts which started in October 2015 and February 2016 respectively. The plant plans to produce sub-compact and compact models in the future to further enhance its competitiveness for the domestic market and the export.
Examples of technologies found in the Prachinburi plant are as follow:
- The world’s first ARC (Assembly Revolution Cell) Line,
- Production efficiency improved by 10% compared to that of a conventional line – Stamping Line:
- Stamping press process efficiency improved by 25% compared to that of conventional line
- due to servo control and high speed feeder – Welding Line:
- Operating ratio improved by 40% to that of conventional line with the application of compact and lightweight welding jigs
- People-friendly, and environmentally-responsible approaches – Welding Line:
- A “Water Conveyor” to fully re-use water used to cool the plant’s production process – Facility management:
- A “skylight roof”, a roof with windows to use daylight to illuminate the plant floor instead of electricity.
Profile of Prachinburi Plant, Honda Automobile (Thailand) Co., Ltd.
Production capacity: 120,000 units per year
Number of associates: Approximately 1,400 (as of May 12, 2016)
* Based on Honda internal research