Published on November 16th, 2019 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
CIMB staff killed by drunk driver last night
Another innocent victim because of drunk driving. Last night after a CIMB event, a CIMB (bank) staff was returning home in her car and a drunk driver hit her car hard and she passed away.
The drunk driver is in police custody but the innocent lady driver has lost her life. This is not an isolated issue and more should be done in enforcement.
Entertainment outlets should have check and balances to prevent drunk drivers from taking to the wheel of their cars.
We all have loved ones who go out in the evenings. For work, dinner, entertainment, social or religious visits and they drive. A drunk driver could hit them the next time and we will be feeling this loss and anger.
Possible enforcement solutions could start with the following.
- Car parks around pubs, nightclubs, bars and entertainment locations should have mandatory breathalysers for all drivers before leaving the car park.
- Police where possible should set up road blocks earlier. Start from 10pm…not after midnight.
- The fines for drink driving should be higher and no more leniency.
- Even patrolling police officers on motorcycles should carry breathalysers and do random checks after 9pm in the populated areas.
- Awareness campaigns do not help as drink drivers believe they can beat the law, so spend the money on more breathalysers to be used by more police officers.
- The best control always comes from friends of the drunk driver. Advice your drunk friend to take a taxi or ride share back home. Or better, before meeting up at the bar/restaurant, all of you must agree to come via ride share or public transport. Make it a point to remind each other the dangers of drink driving and share this article to remind each other of this innocent lady who was someones wife/daughter/sister/cousin/friend/neighbour who was just returning home after a days work.