Motorsports Massive high-speed crash of Ott Tänak / Martin Järveoja (Hyundai Shell Mobis WRT

Published on January 25th, 2020 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez

0

Ott Tanak crashes his WRC Hyundai and walks away unhurt

Watch the video at the end of this release.

Hyundai WRC team driver Ott Tanak has crashed out of the 2020 Monte Carlo Rally on his team Hyundai debut, after a spectacular high-speed crash on Friday morning.

An amazing escape for an unharmed Ott Tänak and Martin Järveoja at Rallye Monte Carlo, showing the incredible safety standards in modern-day WRC cars. Tanak’s near 115mph accident saw him get airborne, drop on a tree and plunge down the arrowed rock face.

Massive high-speed crash of Ott Tänak / Martin Järveoja (Hyundai Shell Mobis WRT)
Massive high-speed crash of Ott Tänak / Martin Järveoja (Hyundai Shell Mobis WRT)
Massive high-speed crash of Ott Tänak / Martin Järveoja (Hyundai Shell Mobis WRT)

Hyundai said in a statement that the Estonian driver, with co-driver Martin Jarveoja, were able to exit the car unassisted after the accident in the French Alps 9.2km into the 20.68km fourth stage.

BHPetrol RON95 Euro 4M

“Tanak and Järveoja have been taken to hospital for precautionary medical checks, as is standard procedure following a crash of this nature,” the team added. Camera footage showed the Hyundai careering off the road and barrel-rolling into trees.

Tanak won the championship with Toyota last season and the season-opening Monte Carlo rally is his competitive debut with Hyundai, the reigning manufacturers’ champions. The Estonian had been third overall after Thursday’s opening night stages.

“The Estonians will be kept in hospital overnight for precautionary monitoring and will take no further part in Rallye Monte-Carlo,” the team added.

Tanak won the championship with Toyota last season and the season-opening Monte Carlo rally is his competitive debut with Hyundai, the reigning manufacturers’ champions. The Estonian had been third overall after Thursday’s opening night stages.

“I am pleased that Ott and Martin are fine after their accident in this morning’s loop,” said team principal Andrea Adamo. “Our priority in such situations is always the condition of the crew first and foremost. “It is customary after such incidents for hospital check-ups, the results of which were clear.”

Tanak’s Belgian teammate Thierry Neuville had led the rally overnight but Toyota debutant Elfyn Evans took over at the top on Friday. The Welshman was fastest in the three-morning stages to lead Neuville by 8.9 seconds.

“The feeling is generally pretty good in the car and the right tyre choice was made as well, so thanks to the team for that. It’s been great so far,” Evans told the official wrc.com website. Seven-times Monte Carlo winner Sebastien Ogier, Evans’ team mate, was third overall and 0.8 seconds behind Neuville.

“I’m still learning the car and have to find the limit when it’s bumpy,” said the six-times world champion, who left Citroen at the end of last season.


About the Author

www.dsf.my is a service to the public and other website owners. www.dsf.my is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained within the site www.dsf.my. While the information contained within the site is periodically updated, no guarantee is given that the information provided in this website is correct, complete, and up-to-date. www.dsf.my is not responsible for the accuracy or content of information contained inside.



Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑