Published on January 22nd, 2020 | by Subhash Nair0
Peugeot Gives 3008 GT and 508 Models Hybrid Powertrains
This week, Peugeot announced that they would be adding new Hybrid and Hybrid4 powertrain options to some of their more popular models. The 3008, 508 and 508 SW cars will now have the option of being equipped with this plug-in hybrid system in either front- or all-wheel-drive setups.
The Hybrid4 powertrain consists of three motors: a 200hp 1.6L PureTech petrol engine, one 110hp electric motor at the front axle, mounted to a new, electrified e-EAT8 transmission, and another 112hp electric motor matched to the rear axle.
Fully recharging the battery takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes using a wallbox.
In the 508 models, the battery capacity is 11.8kWh, and you get between 52km and 54km of pure electric driving. The 3008 gets a larger 13.2kWh battery for 59km.
Here’s the press release with more.
PEUGEOT would like to present its PLUG-IN HYBRID range as the first piece of tangible proof of aserene and ever more pleasant future for our customers. A HYBRID and HYBRID4 rechargeable offerlinked to a petrol engine.
A set of advanced technologies is rolled out which easily and fully transparently fit together for theuser.
The 1.6L PureTech engine has been adapted, including with the addition of a starter-alternator or a
specific cooling face. It reaches 180hp on HYBRID and 200hp on HYBRID4.
New electrified automatic gearbox
The PureTech engine is combined with the new e-EAT8 8-speed automatic transmission (Electric
Efficient Automatic Transmission – 8 speeds), specific to PEUGEOT PLUG-IN HYBRID engines.
An electric motor is linked to the box and reaches 110hp/80kW on the front suspension.
For optimal and imperceptible transitions between electrical and ICE, the torque converter of the ICEversions gives way to a wet multiple-disc clutch. All these modifications offer a torque increase of60Nm, for more reactivity.
An electrified rear suspension
On the HYBRID4 versions, the multi-link rear suspension is equipped with an inverter, a 110hp/80kWelectric motor and a gearbox for 4-wheel drive. Its integration has been achieved without impact onusability.
The high voltage battery is Lithium-ion (300V) and is located under the 2nd row seats on
both HYBRID and HYBRID4 versions.
The battery has a capacity of between 11,8KWh (508/508 SW) and 13,2 KWh (3008), at the best level
of the market. This capability ensures 100% electric driving up to 59 kilometres WLTP
To get the most out of the operating silence, the default mode will be the ELECTRIC mode, when thebattery charge status allows it. The electric movements can reach 135km/h before the heat enginetakes over.
Efficient features for renewed enjoyment
New Brake feature
The driver can choose to activate a new Brake feature that allows the vehicle to decelerate withoutpressing the brake pedal. As an engine brake, it also makes it possible to recharge the battery, whengoing downhill for example. In Drive mode, pushing the Shift and Park by wire automatic gearboxcontrol to the rear is enough to engage the Brake mode. A second push disables it.
New electronically-controlled braking system
With a view to increasing driver autonomy in 100% electric, the high energy efficiency i-Boosterbraking system recovers the energy during a braking or a deceleration when the foot is lifted off(energy that usually dissipates on the ICE versions). The i-booster incorporates an electric pump toreplace the vacuum pump of the ICE versions.
New e-SAVE feature
The pleasure of riding in electric whenever you want is possible with the e-SAVE function. The e-SAVEallows the driver to anticipate their movement by reserving electric autonomy (10kms, 20kms or thewhole battery). This function is easily accessible from the dedicated e-SAVE menu on the touchscreen. Once set up, the function is displayed on the handset with the autonomy reserved inkilometres. You just need to select the ELECTRIC mode on the driving mode selector to activate the100% electric driving when you need it.
Easily and quickly charge your battery
Maximum charge is reached:
about 7 hours with a standard plug (3.7 kW, 8A charger)
about 4 hours with a reinforced Green’up® type socket (3.7 kW 14A charger in 4 hours)
Guides lamps surround the charging socket so you can easily and quickly check the battery charge.Once the plug is connected, colours will indicate the progress of the battery charge.
Discreetly installed, the charging hatch is located on the rear left wing of the vehicle (symmetric tothe fuel hatch). The charging system fits easily into specific storage under the boot floor.
A driving experience enriched with new sensations
With its technological heritage, PEUGEOT offers its customers the same experience of intense andinstinctive driving whatever the engine.
The new PEUGEOT PLUG-IN HYBRID engines provide a new driving experience. An experience thatprovides a range of new sensations with unparalleled brilliance including through new driving modes.
Each driving mode is exclusive and provides different experiences:
- exhilarating performance in SPORT mode that harnesses all energies,
- versatility of the HYBRID mode,
- improved motor function in 4WD mode (PEUGEOT 3008 HYBRID4)
- COMFORT mode that couples the HYBRID mode and the comfort of the electronically- controlled suspension (new PEUGEOT 508 HYBRID)
All these modes offer a 100% electric ride, depending on the battery charge level.
If the technological content of the HYBRID and HYBRID4 engines can seem dense, the promise of theensuing driving experience is clear. Ergonomics and driving are easy and intuitive.
An electrifying drive with the PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®
As a key brander for Lion productions, the PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® provides a stimulating and intuitivedriving experience in everyday life. The touch screen and the digital handset have been adapted inorder to complement the driving experience of PEUGEOT PLUG-IN HYBRID engines.
The hybrid-specific PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® incorporates the driving information available in the driver’sfield of vision (driving mode, electric gauge level and available electrical distance, etc.). It is fullyconfigurable and customisable.
A power metre, located on the right side of the digital handset, replaces the rev counter. It consists of3 easily identifiable areas:
- The ECO area corresponds to an energy-optimising driving experience,
- The POWER area is a more dynamic driving experience, providing dynamic performance.
- The CHARGE area indicates the phases of energy recovery to the driver, allowing the battery to be charged, mainly when the foot is off. Two gauges are arranged on either side of the handset: one for the fuel, the other for the power. Theavailable range, expressed in km, is also indicated below each gauge. The active driving mode is permanently displayed in the lower part of the handset, so that you canadapt it if necessary quickly and without hesitation. At everytime when recharging, the handset allows to know the recovered electric autonomy (inkilometres), the recovered rate of battery charge (in percentage), the speed of battery charging (inelectric kilometres) as well as the remaining charge time before reaching full charge (in hours and/orminutes). Touch screen The touch screen also includes a specific hybrid menu. A direct access button has been addedalongside piano – toggle switches. It gives access to new information:
- – the energy flow page that shows the operating status of the hybrid system
- – the consumption statistics page which differentiates the electricity consumption from the fuel consumption.
- – the browsing page which includes specific information: chargingstations,inadditiontofuelstationsinPOIs
the range of the all-electric mode
Lastly, the air conditioning page displays the pre-conditioning passenger compartment, allowing tocool or warm the compartment according to the outside temperature.
My Peugeot connectivity
For maximum agility, the content of the MyPeugeot mobile application has been improved. It can nowactivate remote charging or knowing the progress and state of charge of the vehicle at anytime andanywhere.
The HYBRID and HYBRID4 engines will be integrated to the PEUGEOT 3008 and on the new PEUGEOT 508 and 508 SW in autumn 2019.