Published on May 30th, 2022 | by Subhash Nair0
Wiesmann Project Thunderball Aims To Be First 2-Seater Convertible EV
Wiesmann, the custom, hand-built German auto brand, has entered the EV race with this new Project Thunderball.
The Wiesmann Project Thunderball is the custom carmaker’s attempt at joining the electric vehicle revolution and making its mark under new ownership. The Project Thunderball is an all-electric convertible roadster that’s made almost entirely from carbon fibre.
It weights over 1700kg despite the exotic material but has a power to weight ratio of 2.5 kilogrames per horsepower.
While final figures are yet to be determined for the production car, the target range of Project Thunderball is 500km and it will feature a state-of-the-art 800V architecture (like Hyundai’s E-GMP)to enable very quick charging.
A 92kWh battery is being supplied, but it will only have about 83kWh available to the driver. Two electric motors at the rear wheels supply 680hp and 1100Nm of torque. This will propel the vehicle from 0-100km/h in just 2.9 seconds.
Pricing starts at 300,000 euros. Here are some technical specifications.
- TYPE: Coupé/Roadster
- CHASSIS: Aluminium spaceframe
- MATERIALS: Carbonfibre, steel, aluminium
- LENGTH: 4440 mm
- WIDTH: 2210 mm incl. mirrors
- HEIGHT: 1285 mm
- DOORS/SEATS: 2/2
- Front 180 litres (2 ‘carry-on’ golf bags)
- Rear 125 litres (2 golf bags – coupé only)
- WHEELBASE: 2595 mm
- TRACK FRONT: 1564 mm
- REAR: 1668 mm
- STEERING: Electric power steering
- SUSPENSIONS: Fully adjustable sports suspension including adjustable anti-roll bars
- 0-100 km/h Target 2.9s
- 0-200 km/h 8.9s
- RANGE (WLTP): Over 500 km
- CONSUMPTION: 20.5 kW per 100 km
- FRONT: 380 mm rotors, 6 piston caliper
- REAR: 380 mm rotors, 4 piston caliper
- ASSISTANCE: Dynamic Stability Control / Traction Control
- Front: Wiesmann Aero1 10″ x 21″
- Rear: Wiesmann Aero1 11.5″ x 21″
- Front: Michelin PS 4S 265/30 ZR 21
- Rear: Michelin PS 4S 305/25 ZR 21
- LAYOUT: Rear mid-motor, mid battery
- CONFIGURATION: Dual motor
- MAX POWER: 250 kW per motor (500 kW / 680 hp)
- MAX TORQUE: 550 Nm per motor (1100 Nm total)
- CURB WEIGHT: 1775 kg
- POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO: 2.5 kg per hp
- WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION (% f/r): 48/52
- GEARBOX: Single-speed
- DIFFERENTIAL: Limited slip
- VOLTAGE: 800V
- CAPACITY: 92 kWh
- CHARGING: 22 kW on-board AC (up to 300 kW DC)