Published on January 10th, 2023 | by Subhash Nair0
MINI Electric Updated In Malaysia For 2023 Model Year
The MINI Electric has proven to be quite popular in Malaysia and gets an update.
Mini Malaysia reported today that of the 1233 vehicles they sold here last year, a quarter were pure electric vehicles. Given that the only electric vehicle offered by the brand is the Mini Electric (a.k.a Mini Cooper SE), that points to about 300 units sold here in 2021 alone, which isn’t bad given the brand appeals to a very niche market. The model was first launched in Malaysia in August 2020 and then got an update in June 2021.
For 2023, the MINI Electric is being given a very minor update in pricing, equipment and options for the Malaysian market. Pricing is now RM193,834 on the road without insurance with a 2-year warranty but this can be extended a 4-year warranty with a service package at RM199,164. In terms of equipment, there is now a panoramic sunroof, heated front seats. These are two extremely questionable additions for the Malaysian market.
Panoramic sunroofs, even when tinted, cause cabin temperatures to increase under heavy sunlight. This in turn increases the power use of the climate control system. Heated seats are completely worthless in Malaysia. Perhaps the equipment changes are done at a factory level and can’t be removed specifically for the Malaysian market. Anyway, it would be interesting to see if these equipment pieces are appreciated in the market and whether the MINI Electric’s practical range reduces due to these additions.
There are also two new options for Malaysian customers. The MINI Cooper Electric can now be ordered in Nanuk White. This is a new colour option that joins Midnight Black but seems to have replaced White Silver, which is no longer listed on the brochure. For a lower price tag, MINI Malaysia will allow customers to order the MINI Electric without the heads-up display. This brings the price tag down by RM2,288.
The MINI Electric features a single electric motor powering the front wheels. It has an output of 184hp and 270Nm of torque. The battery is 28.9kWh. Acceleration from 0-100km/h takes just 7.3 seconds and the top speed is just 150km/h. Official range is quoted as 232km per charge. A MINI Wallbox costs RM4,555.67 with installation charges of RM1,888.
Here’s a list of equipment for the MINI Electric.
• Acoustic seat-belt warning• Antilock Braking System (ABS) including brake assist, corneringbrake control, electronic braking force distribution and dynamicbraking light• Attentive Assist• Auto Dipping Interior Mirror• Brake discs, front (ventilated) and rear• Central locking system with electronic immobiliser and crash sensor• Driving Assistant incl. Lane Departure Warning• Driving Assistance with Approach Control Warning and Light CityBraking• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) including Automatic StabilityControl+Traction (ASC+T)• Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) including electronic differentiallock control (EDLC)• Front and side airbags for driver and front passenger, head airbagsfor all 4 outer seats• Locking Wheel bolt Nut• Rear View Camera• Run Flat Tyres• Warning Triangle
• 17″ Electric Power Spoke with RFT• Classic Trim• Mirror Caps in Yellow/Black• Roof in Black• Panoramic Sunroof
• Interior Surface MINI Electric• Leatherette Carbon Black• Headliner Anthracite
• Auto Air Conditioner• Child Seat ISOFIX Attachment on Rear Passenger Seats• Comfort Package• Front Armrest• Height Adjustment for Front Passenger• Sport Seats• Storage Compartment Package
TRANSMISSION AND TECHNOLOGY
• Charging Cable (Mode 2)• Comfort Access• Cruise Control• MINI Driving Modes• Multifunction for Steering Wheel• Parking Assistance• MINI Public Charging Cables with 1 year ChargeNow Subscription
LIGHT AND SIGHT
• Adaptive LED Headlights• Ambient Light• Exterior Mirror Package• LED Headlights• Light Package
ENTERTAINMENT, COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION
• Apple CarPlay• ConnectedDrive Services• Digital Instrument Cluster• Head Up Display• eDrive Services• Harman Kardon Hifi Soundsystem• Intelligent Emergency Call• MINI Connected• Navigation System• Radio MINI Visual Boost• Remote Services• Teleservices