Published on September 29th, 2016 | by Subhash Nair0
Volkswagen Group Appoints International Sustainability Council
The Volkswagen Group is strengthening its sustainability management and appoints an international top-class Sustainability Council. The council members will advise the Group Board of Management on the topics of sustainable mobility, environmental protection, and social responsibility as well as integrity, the future of work, and digitisation. They will be independent and not obliged to follow instructions.
The inaugural meeting will take place at the end of October in Berlin. At this meeting, the Sustainability Council will establish its own rules of procedure, determine the distribution of responsibilities within the body, and elect a chairman or chairwoman.
The members of the Group’s Sustainability Council are:
- Prof. Dr. Ottmar Edenhofer – Deputy Director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Director of the Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change
- Connie Hedegaard – former EU Commissioner for Climate Action
- Prof. Dr. Gesche Joost – Professor at the University of the Arts in Berlin
- Georg Kell – Founding Director UN Global Compact
- Yves Leterme – former OECD Deputy Secretary-General and former Prime Minister of Belgium
- Prof. Dr. Gertrude Lübbe-Wolff, former Judge at the Federal Constitutional Court
- Margo T. Oge, former Director of Transportation Air Quality, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Michael Sommer, former President of the Confederation of German Trade Unions (DGB)
- Elhadj As Sy, Secretary General of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)