Published on November 12th, 2016 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
9 tips for driving on wet roads
We are suddenly faced with heavy rain these past few days and it looks like it will continuing in the coming weeks. So, we have decided to put down some necessary tips for drivers who tend to forget the most basic issues that come with driving a car in the rain….especially in our crowded cities that have roads with potholes, badly maintained curbs that are not aligned and even worse, manhole covers that are above road level.
- Ensure your tires have a safe margin of tread.
- Replace any bulbs, especially for brake lights, immediately.
- Ensure your headlights are clean for optimal road visibility.
- Always use your turn signals to alert other drivers of lane changes and turns.
- Slow your speed before turning and avoid braking while making the turn.
- Avoid abrupt steering/lane changes.
- Increase your following distance to allow longer stopping time for a sudden braking in the wet and slippery roads.
- If you hydroplane, do not attempt to accelerate your way out or brake. Release pressure on the accelerator pedal and steer your way to safety.
- Never attempt to enter or cross a highway covered in high water.
Be cautious in the rain and drive with confidence.