Published on September 19th, 2018 | by Subhash Nair0
Here’s What BMW Motorrad’s Latest GS and RT Models Bring
For more than 35 years, the flat-twin boxer engine in the BMW Motorrad GS and RT models has stood for distinctive, powerful and reliable propulsion when it comes to setting off on an extended tour or a long-distance journey – or simply enjoying the satisfying pleasure of a short weekend trip. For more than 25 years, BMW Motorrad has used 4-valve technology, combined with electronic fuel injection and closed-loop catalytic converter technology in order to achieve the best possible power and torque delivery, efficiency and environmental compatibility.
Here’s an overview of what the new BMW R 1250 GS and BMW R 1250 RT bring:
• Further developed boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side.
• Even more power across the entire engine speed range, optimised fuel consumption and emission levels, increased running smoothness and refinement.
• Increased output and torque: 100 kW (136 hp) at 7 750 rpm and 143 Nm at 6 250 rpm (previously: 92 kW (125 hp) at 7 750 rpm and 125 Nm at 6 500 rpm)).
• Capacity increased to 1 254 cc (previously: 1 170 cc).
• Asynchronous valve opening on the intake side for optimised swirl and therefore more effective combustion.
• Camshaft drive now via toothed chain (previously roller chain).
• Optimised oil supply and piston base cooling.
• Knock sensor system for optimised travel suitability.
• Latest generation of BMS-O engine control and use of twin-jet injection valves for even more effective carburetion.
• New exhaust system for optimum performance characteristics.
• New additional front spoiler on the R 1250 RT.
• Two riding modes, ASC and Hill Start Control as standard.
• Riding Modes Pro, featuring additional riding modes, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, ABS Pro (standard in the R 1250 RT), Hill Start Control Pro and Dynamic Brake Assistant DBC, available as an optional equipment item ex works.
Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” with fully automatic load compensation.
• In addition to standard adjustability of seat height (exception: HP style for the R 1250 GS), wide range of seat height variants ex works.
• LED headlamp for the R 1250 GS as standard and LED daytime riding light for both models as optional equipment items ex works.
Connectivity: multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-colour TFT screen and numerous features as standard in the R 1250 GS.
• Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option.
• BMW Motorrad Spezial – customisation features as optional equipment items ex works.
• Extended range of optional equipment items and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.
• The new R 1250 GS: travel and off-road prowess in two modern basic finishes and two striking style variants.
• The new R 1250 RT: exclusive touring character in one basic colour, two style variants and Option 719 Spezial finishes.