Published on March 18th, 2021 | by Subhash Nair0
All-New Peugeot 308 Hatchback Is Handsome & Available As A Hybrid
The third generation Peugeot 308 5-door hatchback has been shown and it looks so much better than its competitors.
Peugeot, like many other car brands, is in the midst of a rebranding exercise. They recently showed off a new company logo and a more youthful, mobility-lifestyle centred approach to car making. The first car to wear their new badge has been shown. It’s the all-new Peugeot 308 in the 5-door hatchback bodystyle. In the past, Peugeot has also released 5-door estate and 3-door hatchback variants of the 308. Some markets also have 4-door sedan variants available.
The new 308 is an overall larger vehicle than the last one. It is 110mm longer with a 55mm longer wheelbase than its predecessor but is 20mm shorter.
7 colours are available from launch:
- Olivine Green
- Vertigo Blue
- Elixir Red
- Pearl White
- Ice White
- Artense Grey
- Perla Nera Black
Equipment pieces as follows:
- Peugeot Matrix LED headlights
- Peugeot Connect
- 10″ digital panel
- Wireless mirroring with dual phone simultaneous connectivity
- Compact Gear Selector
- Driving Style Selector
- Wireless phone charging
- USB C ports for charging
- LED ambient lighting
- Driving Assist 2.0 Pack
- semi-automatic lane change (70-180km/h)
- anticipated speed recommendation
- curve speed adaptation
- Long-range Blind Spot Monitoring
- 360 parking camera
Here are the powertrain options:
- Hybrid 225 + e-EAT8: 180hp Puretech engine + 81kW electric motor with 8 speed auto driving front wheels
- Hybrid 180 + e-EAT8: 150hp Puretech engine + 81kW electric motor with 8 speed auto driving front wheels
The Puretech engine in question is a 1.2L 3-cylinder turbo petrol motor. 1.5-litre turbodiesel options are also available as is a manual gearbox.
For more on the new Peugeot 308, check out the press release below.
The new PEUGEOT 308 is bolstering itself in its segment and changing its body shape, the 55mm extended wheelbase stretches the silhouette and offers more space for rear passengers while the 20mm height reduction combined with a soft-nose visually lengthens the bonnet.
In order to meet its aerodynamic efficiency objective, the new PEUGEOT 308 has not sought to enhance its posture and style on the outside, but on the inside. Thanks to a vast work of architectural optimisation and body pressing performance.
The livery of the new PEUGEOT 308 is aligned as closely as possible to its structure. This is particularly visible in the very pronounced wing outlines, without any increase in track.
On the sides, the simple and smooth flank showcases its powerful character with the two sharp squares overhanging the front and rear wheels. The design of the side medallion draws on the history of the brand’s identity (PEUGEOT 205, 208, 308…) but bears the vibrancy of the body work carried out on the silhouette.
The rear, with strategic aerodynamic performance, has been designed based on the optimum passage points for a saloon silhouette as defined in the wind tunnel. Therefore, the characteristic style line which crosses the stern is based on this optimum aerodynamic performance, as is the vanishing line at the top of the roof, which needed a long spoiler that is distinctive of the style of the new PEUGEOT 308.
The new PEUGEOT 308 is firmly rooted in the PEUGEOT DNA, sensual and sharp, it is part of a more upscale and dynamic world of reference.
The new PEUGEOT 308 bears the new PEUGEOT brand coat of arms in a grille entirely dedicated to it. Its location is highlighted by the grille pattern that gradually converges towards it.
A design and technological evolution, the radar for driving aids disappears behind the coat of arms (radome technology using indium compatible with radar waves), making it the centre piece on the grille. The number plate has moved to the lower part of the front end.
The front headlamps use LED technology from the first level of finish. Chiselled and slim, they contribute to the dynamics and identity of this new PEUGEOT 308. They are extended by hook-shaped daytime running lights on the front bumper. This light signature is perfectly in keeping with the current PEUGEOT style, recognisable at first glance both by day and by night. On the GT/GT Pack levels, the Full LED headlamps are even thinner and have PEUGEOT Matrix LED Technology, for greater efficiency and safety in everyday use.
At the rear, the headlamps use Full LED technology displaying the 3 claws for a modern, brand-specific light signature.
The new PEUGEOT 308 will come in 7 shades: Olivine Green, Vertigo Blue, Elixir Red, Pearl White, Ice White, Artense Grey, Perla Nera Black
TECHNO SPIRIT, new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit®
The PEUGEOT i-cockpit® is part of the brand’s DNA. With each generation, it is enhanced and modernised. With this new PEUGEOT 308, it marks an clear change in terms of ergonomics, quality, design and technology with its brand new infotainment system, the PEUGEOT i- Connect®.
The new compact steering wheel includes sensors which can detect the driver’s grip on the steering wheel when using the new driving aids. Ergonomic, heated (optional), it includes all the controls: radio, media, telephone, driving aids.
The cluster, located at eye level, has a 10 inch digital panel from the active pack level. In GT, the cluster is in 3 dimensions. Fully configurable and customisable, this digital cluster has several display modes (TomTom connected Navigation, Radio/Media, Driving Aids, Energy Flow, etc.) that can be modified directly from the stalk.
The build of the new PEUGEOT 308’s dashboard is based on a “high-vent” architecture that places the air vents just in front of the occupants’ heads, in the optimum position for efficiency and driver and passenger comfort. This layout ensures that the standard 10-inch central touch screen, located slightly lower than the digital cluster, is closer to the driver’s hand and blends naturally into the overall volume of the dashboard.
Starting at the Allure level, the new PEUGEOT 308 includes fully configurable virtual i-toggles which replace the physical air conditioning front panel. Positioned opposite the central screen, like an open book, they provide a unique look and level of technology in the segment.
Each i-toggle is a touch-sensitive shortcut key to the air conditioning settings, a telephone contact, a radio station, an application launch…set up according to the user’s choice.
The PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® in the new PEUGEOT 308 still has the principle of the central “driver oriented” screen which optimises driving ergonomics, just enough so that the passenger does not feel left out. The same applies to the centre console, which is deliberately open towards the passenger. This was one of the objectives of the Interior Style, to create a balance in the space between the two front row occupants.
The design of the centre console reflects the space-saving design of the new air conditioning unit. Its design places all the car’s dynamic controls together on an arch on the driver’s side:
- a new compact control for impulse selection of the modes (Reverse, Neutral, Drive) and 2 buttons (Parking and Manual) of the 8-speed automatic gearbox,
- the Driving Style Selector, to select different modes (Electric, Hybrid, Eco, Normal and Sport) depending on the engine.The arch of the centre console extends to a dedicated slot for wireless phone charging. The rest of the console is therefore entirely dedicated to storage and convenience:
- two large-diameter cup holders,
- two USB C sockets (charge and charge/data),
- a lot of storage space up to 34 litres,
- an armrest.Here, too, the new PEUGEOT 308 is one of the new references in the segment. The interior design highlights the diversity and richness of its materials. The LED ambient lighting (8 colours to choose from) hidden behind the central screen lights up the main decor to the door panels which, depending on the level of finish, can be foamed, fabric, Alcantara® or made of real deep drawn aluminium parts.
TECHNO SPIRIT, PEUGEOT i-Connect and I-Connect Advanced
The new infotainment system gives everyone the very best of the smartphone world and the best of the automotive world, depending on their wants and needs. Ergonomic and consistent with everyday use, each driver (up to 8 profiles) can define and save his or her display, atmosphere and setting preferences.
The mirroring function is now wireless and it is possible to connect two phones in Bluetooth at the same time.
The central 10-inch high-definition screen is fully and easily customisable, multi- windowable with “widgets” or shortcuts, very easy to use and responsive like a tablet.
It is easy to scan the different menus from left to right, from top to bottom for notifications or with a 3-finger press to make the application list appear.
You can easily go back to the main page by pressing the touch button “Home”, just like a smartphone.
At the top of the screen, a permanent banner displays outdoor temperature information, air conditioning, position in widget pages, connectivity data, notifications and time.
The PEUGEOT i-Connect Advanced provides a complete technological experience, with its high-performance and efficient TomTom connected navigation. For optimal readability, the map is displayed across the entire 10 inch screen and updated “over the air”.
The “OK PEUGEOT” command, a natural language voice recognition command, can be used in everyday life to improve safety and ease of use, and provides access to all requests relating to infotainment functions.
In order to provide guidance on correct use and to answer queries, the system includes on- board documentation and tutorials
TECHNO SPIRIT, driving aids
On board the new 308, latest-generation driving aids complete the range of on-board technologies, at the highest level of the brand’s know-how:
A further step towards semi-autonomous driving with the Drive Assist 2.0 pack (available at the end of the year), which includes adaptive cruise control with Stop and Go function (EAT8 automatic gearbox) and the Lane Keeping Aid, it also has 3 new functions available on lanes with separate carriageways:
- Semi-automatic lane change, suggests that the driver overtake the vehicle in front and then suggests moving back, from 70 km/h to 180 km/h.
- Anticipated speed recommendation, the system suggests to the driver that he adapt his speed (acceleration or deceleration) according to the speed limit signs.
- Curve speed adaptation, optimises speed according to the curve of the bend, up to 180 km/h.
The new PEUGEOT 308 comes with new equipment, worthy of the higher segments, as standard or as an option:
- Long-range blind spot monitoring (75 metres),
- Rear traffic alert (when reversing, warning of a danger nearby),
- New high-definition 180° reversing camera with integrated cleaning nozzle,
- 360° parking assistance with 4 cameras (front, rear and side),
- Proximity hands-free start access,
- A fully defrostable heated windshield and heated steering wheel,
- E-call+” emergency call with passenger number information and location includingthe direction of the vehicle in the lane,
- Indexing the rearview mirrors when engaging reverse gear.
Of course, the new PEUGEOT 308 still has a complete range of equipment on offer, depending on the finish, for driving assistance, safety and comfort:
- Adaptive cruise control with Stop and Go function (EAT8 automatic gearbox) with adjustable inter-vehicle distance setting,
- Adaptive cruise control with 30 km/h function in manual gearbox with adjustable inter-vehicle distance control,
- Automatic emergency braking (detects pedestrians and cyclists, day and night, from 7 km/h up to 140 km/h depending on version) with collision warning,
- Active warning of unintentional line (or roadside) crossing with course correction,
- Driver Attention Alert, to detect driver alertness over long driving times and atspeeds above 65 km/h by analysing the steering wheel micro-movements,
- Automatic high beam switching,
- Extended recognition of traffic signs (stop, one way, no overtaking, end of noovertaking ban, etc.).
- Sunroof equipped with a velum,
- Perimeter, volume and deadlocking alarm,
- Electric parking brake in all versions,
PERFECT FIT, naturally efficient
The new PEUGEOT 308 is built from an evolution of the EMP2 (Efficient Modular Platform) multi-energy platform, which makes it possible to deploy a full electrified versions offer on this silhouette. Two rechargeable hybrid versions are available from launch.
The platform is made up of new structural elements for even greater efficiency, safety, driving pleasure and comfort.
The new PEUGEOT 308 is changing its shape to assert itself in its segment:
- the length is 4.36 m (+11 cm),
- the windscreen tilts and moves backwards,
- the wheelbase increases by 55 mm to 2.675 m, providing more room for thesecond row passengers,
- 20 mm lower, the height is now 1.44 m,The boot volume is 412 litres of water with 28 litres of water of compartmentalised storage pace under the carpet. With the rear seatbacks folded down, the maximum is 1323 litres of water.
The new PEUGEOT 308 includes a high level of aerodynamics, with a Cx of 0.28 and a SCx of 0.62m2. All visible and lesser visible bodywork parts are stylishly optimised (bumpers, deflectors, diffuser, body pillars, mirrors, underbody screens, etc.). In the same vein, the wheel design provides better aerodynamics and contributes significantly to performance.
The new PEUGEOT 308’s tyre fitting covers sizes from 16 to 18 inches, in Class A and A+ categories, for rolling efficiency, all pursuant to the brand’s requirements in terms of benchmark road behaviour.
Efficiency has been at the heart of the work undertaken throughout the development process. This new platform helps to reduce fuel consumption and limits the new PEUGEOT 308’s CO2 emissions.
In order to improve vibration comfort, rigidity of the body has been optimised by gluing the structural elements. More than ever, driving pleasure is in the very pores of this new PEUGEOT 308, with exemplary roadholding, top-of-the-range driving comfort, excellent driving pleasure and perfect manoeuvrability in town with a turning radius between kerbs of 10.5 m.
PERFECT FIT, comfortable and cosy atmosphere
The design of the seats of the new PEUGEOT 308 has been designed with comfort in mind and to highlight the quality of the materials used: evolutionary mottled fabric, technical mesh, alcantara, embossed leather and coloured nappa leather. On the GT versions, they come with an Adamite colour signature thread which also highlights the dashboard, door panels and foam pads on the console.
The front seats have been awarded the AGR (Aktion für Gesunder Rücken) seal of approval as standard or as an option, rewarding both the ergonomics and the range of adjustments. They can also be equipped with 10-way electric adjustments with two save possibilities. Both front seats can also be equipped with an optional 8-pocket pneumatic massage system with several different programmes and seat heating.
In row 2, the increased wheelbase (+55 mm) directly enhances comfort, while rear passengers can enjoy from more knee room. Connectivity is also top of the range with, from the Allure level, 2 USB C sockets (charge and charge/data) at the rear of the centre console. A pass-through in the centre of the bench seat (2/3-1/3) reveals an armrest equipped with two cup holders and a telephone holder.
The technology enhances the different glazing elements of the new PEUGEOT 308:
- a fully heated windscreen,
- increased window thickness at the front and rear,
- acoustic laminated side panes in row 1 according to version,
- a frameless interior rear-view mirror from the Allure finish level, it includes a Cyan- coloured LED on hybrid engines, signalling to the outside that the vehicle is being driven with zero emissions.
The air conditioning system benefits from an all-new system that enhances the thermal comfort of the occupants, while row 2 passengers can enjoy air vents at the rear of the centre console.
With a view to improving the air inside, the new PEUGEOT 308 is equipped with the AQS (Air Quality System) which constantly monitors the quality of the air entering the vehicle, and is capable of activating air recycling on its own. Full peace of mind from the GT level upwards with the Clean Cabin, an air treatment system with filtration of polluting gases and particles. Air quality is displayed on the central touch-screen.
Developed in partnership with Focal, a French brand specialising in Audio, the new PEUGEOT 308’s unique FOCAL® Premium Hi-Fi system is the result of more than 3 years of co-design work.
The FOCAL® Premium Hi-Fi system is made up of 10 speakers with exclusive patented technologies:
- 4 aluminium inverted dome TNF tweeters,
- 4 woofers/mediums with Polyglass membrane and 165mm TMD (Tuned MassDamper) suspension,
- 1 central Polyglass track,
- 1 ovoid triple coil subwoofer Power FlowerTM.They are connected to a new 690 W 12-channel amplifier (boosted class D technology) and completed by ARKAMYS digital sound processing.The Peugeot and Focal teams worked together to establish the customised locations for each loudspeaker in order to offer all passengers a sensational sound experience. On board, the sound stage is stable and precise, the voices are clear and detailed, and the bass is deep and heavy-hitting.