Published on November 13th, 2021 | by Subhash Nair0
All-Electric Subaru Solterra Fully Revealed
The all-electric SUV called the Subaru Solterra has been revealed and it’s almost identical to the Toyota bZ4x.
Back in May 2021, Subaru announced that its first-ever all-electric vehicle would be called the Solterra. This battery electric vehicle (BEV) would be co-developed with Toyota, which almost concurrently announced their own version called the bZ4x.
Initially, Subaru had only shared obscured images of the Solterra, with a few more teaser images coming in early September 2021. Following Toyota’s full reveal of the bZ4x, Subaru has now given us more details on their Solterra. Despite being essentially the same car, Subaru is confident that “existing Subaru customers can feel that it truly is a Subaru.”
The Subaru Solterra is aimed at delivering happiness to all and to face the challenges of global warming and climate change. It will be launched in the middle of 2022 in Japan, Canada, Europe, China and the United States.
Subaru went on the highlight a few features of the Solterra:
Exterior and Interior
- The hexagon grille expresses the energy efficiency of a BEV. The body with the horizontal axis starting from that hexagon and the dynamic fenders bulging out from the inside show the strength as an SUV.
- Low instrumental panel and top mounted meters, a first for Subaru, located on the instrumental panel and visible above the steering wheel realized the spacious interior.
e-SUBARU Global Platform
- Utilizing the know-how cultivated with the highly recognized Subaru Global Platform, we have jointly developed the e-Subaru Global Platform together with Toyota Motor Corporation as a BEV-dedicated platform.
- The e-Subaru Global Platform enables a driving experience with superior driving dynamics, that brings high stability and handling linearly responds to driver’s steering operation.
- High capacity battery packs are placed under the floor as it is a BEV, and by utilizing that battery as a part of the structure, a low center of gravity and high body strength and rigidity are realized.
Driving Performance/AWD System
- SOLTERRA has adopted a new system that drives the front and rear wheels with separate motors. Taking advantage of the expertise in AWD technology precisely controlling the four tires that SUBARU has accumulated over many years, the agile response of the electric motors and the flexible driving force distribution between front and rear, SOLTERRA fully utilizes the grips of the four wheels and offers a driving with confidence and peace of mind.
- Like the other SUBARU SUV models, SOLTERRA features the X-MODE AWD control system that enhances the sense of security on rough roads. By adding the new Grip Control function, which enables the vehicle to run at a constant speed while stabilizing the vehicle even on rough roads, the capability is further enhanced.
- By devising the skeleton shape of each part of the body and optimizing the material strength, SOLTERRA achieves both weight reduction and superior collision safety at the same time.
- In the event of a collision, the structure that transfers the load to multiple body skeletons efficiently absorbs the collision energy. It protects not only the vehicle occupants, but also protects the high-voltage equipment in the BEV.
Subaru Solterra Specifications
|FWD model||AWD model|
|Length × Width × Height (mm)||4,690 × 1,860 × 1,650|
|Cabin length (mm)||1,940|
|Cabin width (mm)||1,515|
|Cabin height (mm)||1,160 (normal / solar roof)|
1,145 (glass roof)
|Minimum turning radius (m)||5.7|
|Minimum ground clearance (mm)||210|
|Vehicle weight (kg)||1,930～||2,020～|
|Gross vehicle weight (kg)||2,205～||2,295～|
|Cruising range per charge (WLTC, Japan standard) (km)||Approx. 530||Approx. 460|
|Motor||Type||AC synchronous electric motor|
|Maximum output (front motor) (kW)||150||80|
|Maximum output (rear motor) (kW)||–||80|
|Maximum output (system) (kW)||150||160|
|Main drive battery||Type||Lithium-ion battery|
|Total power (kWh)||71.4|
|Total voltage (V)||355|
|AC charger maximum output (kW)||6.6|
|DC charging maximum output (kW)||150|
|Steering||Rack Assist Type electric Power Steering (EPS)|
|Suspension (Front / Rear)||Strut-type coil spring / Double wishbone-type coil spring|
|Brakes (Front / Rear)||Ventilated disc / Ventilated disc|
|Driveline||Front-wheel drive||All-wheel drive|
|Wheel||18 inch||18 inch|