Published on December 27th, 2021 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
8 Surprisingly High Technology Features In The New Defender
Defender uses the latest technologies to provide new levels of connectivity, capability and convenience.
Over seven decades of pioneering innovation, Land Rover has been at the forefront of all-terrain capability and adventure. With this all New Defender comes a 4×4 vehicle that is fit for the 21st century, using the latest technologies to provide new levels of connectivity, capability and convenience.
Land Rover’s next-generation Electronic Vehicle Architecture, dubbed EVA 2.0, underpins the digital revolution, supporting Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) updates that ensure New Defender will get better with age and enabling Land Rover’s fast and intuitive new Pivi Pro infotainment system.
Here below are eight technology features that make this new award winning Defender a leader in it segment.
- New-generation electrical architecture: Advanced Electrical Vehicle Architecture (EVA 2.0) underpins connected tech, making New Defender an all-terrain super-computer.
- A step ahead: Software-Over-The-Air updates for up to 14 electronic control modules means New Defender will get better with age and even fix itself remotely.
- Next-generation infotainment: Jaguar Land Rover’s new Pivi Pro software debuts in Defender. Latest system is always on, making it faster and easier to use while allowing customers to connect two (2) smartphones at once.
- Digital Defender: Intuitive 10-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility delivers enhanced user experience and broader range of functions.
- New Activity Key: waterproof and wearable Activity Key watch works independently of the state-of-the-art fob, allowing customers to lock and unlock the New Defender from their wrist.
- Command driving position: ClearSight Ground View and ClearSight Rear View help you see more with 3D on-screen visualisation when using the Advanced Tow Assist and Wade Sensing systems.
- Head-up off-road: Full colour Head-up Display provides on and off-road information with new video capability putting important information directly in front of the driver.
- Remote Pack: Using an app on their smartphone, owners can remotely keep track of the fuel level, location and journey history of their vehicle as well as and heat or cool the New Defender.
Plus, the future-proof 5G-ready network takes SOTA technology to the next level, ensuring New Defender is always operating on the latest software available. Up to 14 onboard electronic control modules, more than any previous Jaguar Land Rover vehicle, can receive updates, without the need to visit a Land Rover retailer.
In this way, New Defender will get better with age and even the most adventurous customers can use the technology and all that is required is a data connection. In isolated locations a satellite-phone could download data for installation.
Within the lifetime of the New Defender, the embedded diagnostics system will be able to alert customers to issues and either prevent or resolve them automatically as a data connection replaces a traditional tool-kit.
Software updates are sent to the vehicle and downloaded in the background using the vehicle’s built-in data plan. Once ready, a notification will alert customers to the availability of an update, allowing the installation to be scheduled for a convenient time.
Customers will be able to stay truly connected with the Online Pack which will provide unlimited data for music streaming, weather updates and calendar information on the move. By purchasing the onboard Wi-Fi package, all passengers will be able to stay connected with a separate external antenna providing the best possible service.
Inspired by the latest mobile devices, this Defender employs state-of-the-art consumer technology including high performance Snapdragon processors and advanced QNX operating systems to deliver its connected features.
Which really means that the advanced technology in this new Defender will be shared with the next generation of the earlier mentioned models.
The Land Rover Defender is available in Malaysia with a choice of 2 powertrains:
- 2.0L turbocharged straight 4 petrol engine with 300PS for RM798,800.
- 3.0L turbocharged straight 6 petrol engine + a mild hybrid system with 400PS for RM998,800.