Published on January 27th, 2022 | by Subhash Nair0
First-Ever Ford Bronco Raptor Debuts With Rugged Off-Road Performance
The Ford Bronco Raptor is shown with serious off-roading performance.
Ford has been doing some pretty exciting work with their SUV and pick-up fleet. After years of success with the Ford F-150 Raptor in the United States, the company then introduced the Ranger Raptor around the world. It was met with loads of acclaim and so, the ‘Raptorisation’ continues with the Bronco SUV.
As if the Ford Bronco weren’t already practically selling itself, the Ford Bronco Raptor looks to be another smash hit with its performance chops. Powering this beast is a 3.0L V6 EcoBoost petrol motor tuned to meet Ford Performance standards and inspired by Ultra4 Racing. With more than 400 horsepower on tap, this will be the most powerful Bronco to be legally sold to the public.
Ford Performance Improvements
- Raptor-specific frame
- increased suspension travel
- increased track width (8.6 inches/21.844mm)
- FOX High-Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension (HOSS) system with Live Valve Technology
- with FOX 3.1 Internal Bypass Semi-Active Dampers
- new shock towers
- larger front and rear driveshafts
- heavy-duty bash and skid plates
- B-pillar cross bar
- C-pillar reinforcement
- Ford Performance developed axles from the Bronco DR race truck
- Rear: semi-float Dana 50™ Heavy-Duty AdvanTEK® with 235-millimeter ring gear
- Front Dana 44™ AdvanTEKwith upgraded half-shafts with 210-millimeter ring gear
- Ford performance designed control arms for maximum wheel travel of 13-14 inches (front and rear)
- BFGoodrich 37″ KO2 All-Terrain tires
- Ford Performance 17″ X 8.5″ Beadlock capable wheels are available
- electric power steering rack and housing influenced by the F-150 Raptor
- larger-diameter inner and outer tie rod ends
- Intercooling and air induction systems that are designed to endure higher ambient desert temperatures
- 4×4 system with higher capacity clutch
- upgraded transfer case with 3.06 4×4 LO ratio for up to 67.7:1 crawl ratio
- 10-speed SelectShift Automatic tuned by Ford Performance
- Dual-Exhaust system with active-valve technology (four selectable exhaust modes, Normal, Sport, Quiet, Baja)
- Uniquely tuned Baja Mode for the G.OA.T. Modes Terrain Management System
- Tow/Haul Mode
- Trail Control
- Trail Turn Assist
- One-Pedal Driving
For more about the styling of the Ford Bronco Raptor, check out the press release below.
Familiar Ford block lettering at the front stretches across the signature two-piece rectangular grille. Model-specific LED headlights featuring amber daytime running lamps and integrated amber marker lamps further tie in the DNA of Raptor to provide a menacing look. A heavy-duty modular steel front bumper by Ford Performance features tow hooks, removable bumper end caps for improved off-road clearance, integrated removable Rigid LED fog lamps and Rigid off-road lamps for greater illumination.
The hood on Bronco Raptor is made of sheet-molding compound, offering the design team the ability to dramatically sculpt its muscular shape. An integrated hood vent is molded-in-color Carbon Black and fender vents are painted body color. Raptor logos on the left and right of the hood bulge hint at the twin-turbo power underneath.
Bronco Raptor proudly leverages the Bronco SUV’s patented off-road modular design, stripped it to its base, and replaced components with unique-to-Raptor front and rear quarter-panels, fenders, fender flares and door appliques. Sheet-molding compound is once again used to sculpt the wider front fenders and integrated bodyside heat extraction ducts, which provide additional engine cooling. Sheet-molding compound rear-quarter panels are equally bolstered for a muscular look. Together with fender flares, Bronco Raptor sits 9.8 inches wider than a standard Bronco. Bronco Raptor-specific reinforced rock rails with removable running boards increase rock crawling capability.
For even more Raptor-styling DNA, an available Bronco Raptor Graphics Package includes new splatter graphics on the rear bodysides and hood that use an overlapping broken trapezoidal pattern and floating shapes to present a sophisticated digital appearance. Exterior colors include Hot Pepper Red Metallic, Velocity Blue Metallic, Eruption Green Metallic, Shadow Black, Iconic Silver Metallic, Area 51, Cactus Gray, Cyber Orange Metallic Tri-Coat, Oxford White, plus Ford Performance-exclusive Code Orange paint.
Race-focused with a performance-optimized interior
Bronco Raptor features a familiar heritage-inspired horizontal dash, integrating an all-digital 12-inch cluster. The cluster allows drivers to select from various views, including a Bronco Raptor-exclusive Performance View that emphasizes tachometer and gear readings and allows the customization of gauges.
Base Bronco Raptor models are equipped with Black Onyx marine-grade vinyl seats and rubberized washout flooring. The dark interior is accented with Ford Performance Code Orange splashes on the G.O.A.T. Modes rotary dial, dash vents, door netting, steering wheel stitching and Bronco logo on the instrument panel. Even the push-button ignition lights up in Code Orange. Touchpoints such as the grab handles, steering wheel bezel and gear shifter wear low-gloss carbon fiber accents.
Owners can opt for upgraded features such as all-new laser-perforated Black Onyx Neo suede seats, vinyl-wrapped instrument panel topper, leather-wrapped outer seat bolsters and carpet flooring. A thicker and sport-contoured steering wheel with magnesium paddle shifters and gloss black Raptor logo center continues the Ford Performance treatment. Ford Performance-designed front seats are unique to Bronco Raptor, designed with aggressive foam side bolsters to help keep passengers firmly seated when the terrain gets nasty. Available Code Orange seat belts provide even more Ford Performance style.
Bronco Raptor comes standard with a High Package that includes SYNC®4 with 12-inch touchscreen with swipe capability, information on-demand panel and enhanced voice recognition. Other technology features include an exterior camera with 360-degree viewing capability. The Lux Package is available for customers looking for even more human-centered technology, such as an available 10-speaker B&O audio system and Adaptive Cruise Control.