Published on October 4th, 2022 | by Daniel Sherman Fernandez0
Kia Sorento Local Assembly Starts Later This 2022
Target deliveries of this all new Sorento will be early next year.
There is a fourth generation Sorento coming to Malaysia very soon. Interestingly, this Kia flagship SUV was initially designed to target Japanese rivals and it did the job with its first and second generation.
Meanwhile, for ASEAN markets, the 3rd generation Sorento was looking to go against European rivals like Volvo, BMW and even Mercedes-Benz and this is where it lost its way a little.
Now designed and engineered to take on the same European rivals, this 4th generation will arrive in Malaysia very soon a s local assembled model with KIA Motors Malaysia making sure it gets the same attention as their current best seller, the all new Kia Carnival.
Raising standards in the large SUV class for space, efficiency and quality, it sits at the heart of Kia’s reinvigorated SUV line-up.
This new Kia Sorento’s redefined exterior design will arrive with sharper lines, high-tech details, and elongated proportions which gives it a more confident and mature presence.
Inside, its attractive cabin also introduces premium-quality materials, cutting-edge infotainment technologies and a stunning new design language like with the award winning Carnival.
This 2022 Kia Sorento is the first vehicle to be based on Kia’s new-generation large SUV platform. Paired with a larger body to maximize cargo and luggage space, the platform ensures this Sorento will be one of the most versatile and spacious three-row SUVs on the road.
Furthermore, this Sorento’s innovative interior packaging means it can offer all this while accommodating Kia’s new ‘Smartstream’ electrified powertrains which will be the first time that hybrid power is featured in the Sorento line-up. Not sure if the Malaysian version will be a full hybrid or remain a petrol only Sorento.
We are guessing the smooth revving powerful diesel engine will be arriving in Malaysia first which is a 202PS, 440Nm torque Smartstream diesel with a 2.2-litre aluminium block engine paired to an 8-speed wet double-clutch transmission.
This is also Kia’s most high-tech vehicle ever, thanks to its progressive connectivity, driver assistance and infotainment technologies. Its user-friendly twin digital displays deliver advanced graphics, new telematics features and smartphone connectivity.
Here are the Kia Sorento PHEV features in case you were wondering.
- A turbocharged 1.6-liter GDI 4-cylinder engine with a 66.9 kW electric motor
- 6-speed automatic transmission with standard paddle shifters
- 261 horsepower combined
- 13.8 kWh battery
- Targeted 32-mile all-electric range
- Targeted 79 MPGe Combined rating
- Standard AWD with center locking differential and Drive Mode Select with Snow Mode5
Like the rest of the Sorento model range, the Sorento PHEV offers a wide array of available technology:
- 12.3-in. full digital meter cluster, a first for any Kia SUV
- Surround View Monitor utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle, enhancing driver confidence in tight parking situations
- Blind View Monitor projects live video view of adjacent lanes in the instrument cluster and is activated via the turn signal
- Electrochromic rear view mirror
- Smart key with pushbutton start and remote start (from key fob)
- 8 USB charging ports
- 10.25-inch high-resolution color touchscreen display with navigation and telematics
- Wireless smartphone charging pad
- Bose premium sound system, available with 12 high-performance speakers
- Bose Centerpoint technology converts stereo sources into a richer surround-sound experience
- Dynamic Speed Compensation analyzes the sound source and automatically adjusts according to speed.