Published on October 3rd, 2023 | by Subhash Nair0
Genesis GV80 Coupe Debuts, Standard GV80 SUV Gets Minor Redesign
The Genesis GV80 Coupé arrives in production form alongside a refreshed version of the standard GV80.
Last week, South Korean luxury car brand Genesis revealed the all-new GV80 Coupé. This is a production-ready version of the concept car that was shown back in April. The brand also took this opportunity to show off a redesigned version of the standard GV80 SUV to bring it in line with the changes the coupé brings.
As one might expect, the GV80 Coupé bears a striking similarity to the standard GV80 SUV, particularly forward of the B-pillars. The rear half of the car cuts a dramatic silhouette with 20-22″ wheels to complement the sloping roofline.
There’s a unique LED surface-emitting rear combination lamp and an integrated third brake light on the tailgate. There are 13 colour options on offer, including an exclusive shade called Bering Blue. The GV80 Coupé comes with Active Sound Design for a simulated louder exhaust and Flex Brake for customisable brake pedal feel.
Genesis has toned down some of the more sporty aspects highlighted in the concept version. The production version lacks the rolls cage and individual bucket seats at the rear. Instead you get a more conventional 3-person bench that’s leather-lined. There’s a two-tone D-cut steering wheel, carbon garnish patterns and unique stitching on the seats. There are metal accents on the pedals, reclining rear seats, and a foldable luggage shelf in the trunk.
A 2.5L turbocharged four-cylinder and a 3.5L turbocharged V6 are available for all versions of the GV80, but the GV80 Coupé gets an additional new 3.5L turbocharged 48V mild hybrid with an electric supercharger. The power figures are as follows:
- 2.5L turbo – 304hp, 422Nm of torque
- 3.5L V6 turbo – 380hp, 530Nm of torque
- 3.5L V6 turbo 48V electric supercharger – 415hp, 549Nm of torque
Both the GV80 and GV80 Coupé come with loads of new equipment including:
- A 27″ wide OLED display for both infotainment and digital instrumentation
- Preview Electronic Control Suspension (Pre-view ECS)
- 2nd gen Engine Mounting Control Unit (EMCU)
- Auto Terrain Mode
- Micro Lens Array-powered LED headlamps
- Active Air Flaps
- Digital Key 2
- Fingerprint Authentication System
- UVC disinfection trays
- heated armrests
- touch-based handle sensors
- a fragrance system
- 14.6-inch rear-seat display
- Bang & Olufsen sound system
- 10 airbags
- monoblock brake calipers.
- Digital Center Mirror (DCM) displays the rearview camera feed
- Built-In Camera 2
- Hands On Detection (HOD) allows easy deactivation of ADAS
Loads of high-quality materials have been used in the cabin including leather, aluminium, and wood. The crystal gear selector, wireless charging pad, and even cup holders have been redesigned.